Is using Radiolover illegal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'm sure it's not, but thinking about it, your basically getting the song for repeat use for free, just like downloading an mp3? If I rip a song using Radiolover and a friend downloads it from me, it that illegal? If you have a hard drive loaded with mp3's and the feds bust down your door, can you say you got them using a program and live broadcasts? The higher end web braodcasts such as good as the average mp3 anyway.

Just a thought.

Reaction score
I could be totally wrong fleurya, but I think the feds are only breakin' down the doors of people who share massive amounts of copywrite music over the web without permission...

Using RadioLover is legal.

With RadioLover it seems like it's the same as recording a song which is playing on the radio at home, using a tape recorder with fm tuner.

I don't know what the laws are in your country but this isn't such a major crime unless you are sharing it over the internet in huge amounts.

For reference:

Social and legal issues

Some streaming broadcasters use streaming systems that interfere with the ability to record streams for later playback, either inadvertently, through poor choice of streaming protocol, or deliberately, because they believe it is to their advantage to do so. Broadcasters may be concerned that copies will result in lost sales or that consumers may skip commercials. Whether users have the ability and the right to record streams has become a significant issue in the application of law to cyberspace.
In principle, there is no way to prevent a user from recording a media stream that has been delivered to their computer. Thus, the efforts of broadcasters to prevent this consist of making it inconvenient, or illegal, or both.
Broadcasters can make it inconvenient to record a stream, for example, by using unpublished data formats or by encrypting the stream. Of course, data formats can be reverse engineered, and encrypted streams must be decrypted with a key that resides—somewhere—on the consumer's computer, so these measures are security through obscurity, at best.
Efforts to make it illegal to record a stream may rely on copyrights, patents, license agreements, or—in the United States—the DMCA.

The above came from here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The software itself isn't. What you do with it could be perceived as such... depending on what you record.
Basically, the laws in the U.S. pertain to all things "digital". I can record something using a tape deck and most people wouldn't bat an eye. It doesn't make it any less illegal, it is just harder to trace and crack down on.
If I record that same thing using digital means, then eyebrows are raised. That way, there is a digital "paper trail" that can be traced all the way back to me.
This is also because when something is in a digital format, it is not only an exact, perfect copy (much more so than an analog means) it is much, much easier to traffic and share out with the masses. This is what gets the RIAA's undies in a bunch, so to speak. :black:
Same thing goes for recording TV with a VCR vs. something like Tivo or a DVR. The latter would create a format that is much more conducive for "sharing". Again, VCR = near impossible to track.... Cable box DVR = easily traceable.
This is why CD's, DVD's and downloadable things are protected and have DRM's attached to them. That (at least in theory) deters one from making a digital copy and therefore elminates the possibility of sharing out the file.
It is very much a grey area, but I don't think you would have much to worry about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.