• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone in NYC??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12 in PowerBook 1.5ghz
I just moved to Manhattan (loving it so far) and I need to know the outgoing mail server of the internet I am using (my landlord's connection)for Mail. Problem is I do not know what ISP she uses. Does anyone know of the common ISPs around here and what their outgoing mail servers would be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
there are so many, she could be using t1, t3, maybe just cable, dsl, or maybe shes a new adopter of technology and is using FiOS from verizon. I think the best way would be to ask her what the ISP in the building is.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12 in PowerBook 1.5ghz
I asked the owner of the building and she says that Verizon is the ISP. I have searched around and cannot find an outgoing mail server for Verizon in NYC. Anyone know??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
outgoing.verizon.net

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
I'm located in NYC and I have Verizon also. I find using Entourage with Verizon is ALOT better than Verizon just telling Mac users to access their e-mail from their website. I want Verizon FiOS SO BAD! But sadly it is not available in my area yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm located in NYC and I have Verizon also. I find using Entourage with Verizon is ALOT better than Verizon just telling Mac users to access their e-mail from their website. I want Verizon FiOS SO BAD! But sadly it is not available in my area yet.

Wait till you get it, there is nothing faster for the price, I am consistently getting more then 4x the speed that i had with dsl, and if the server is in the new york area, i am getting the full 20mb/s!!! Hope they come out with it soon in your area.. as of now they don't have tv in my area yet I hear the picture is amazing, so thats what i am waiting for now.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12 in PowerBook 1.5ghz
The outgoing.verizon.net mail server worked for my POP3 account. However, I also have an IMAP server (no TLS) through my university which I need a different outgoing mail server for (still through Verizon though). The domain name for the University email address is mail.utexas.edu. Any ideas what to use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm.. I was never able to figure out how to do that, so I receive mail from my school to their e-mail account and then i reply to the mail through my .mac account. so you can do that for now until you figure it out.. if you do figure it out, let me know.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12 in PowerBook 1.5ghz
OK just figured out the outgoing mail server for the IMAP email account with no TLS. Again the domain name is mail.utexas.edu. I am using Mac Mail.

Apparently Verizon has blocked port 25. I did some searching and found port 587 to work. The outgoing mail server I used for the IMAP account was mail.utexas.edu. I checked "use SSL" and required password authentication. For Username, I entered "garrett_greer." (My email address is [email protected]). The password I entered was the password for this email account.

I assume this will work for most university email addresses because I saw an example of this tactic working for a university here in NY.

Hope this helps someone. Feels good to figure this out!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
Even though I told them to notify me when it becomes available, i'm still in denial and type in my phone number like once a week haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB
I'm of no help in this situation but:

Welcome to New York! I moved here in August.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.