2 routers at once

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
is there a way where i can set up 2 routers at once to get an extra boost of range, or is that ridiculous ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
In short, no. You can't daisy-chain routers. Each one will try and assign a new IP and they interfere with each other and it won't work.

Jem

Reaction score
Hold on, if this is for an extra boost of wireless signal range (wireless routers?) then this is possible with most routers. What you REALLY need is a Wireless Access Point but they cost a little more than routers but it's all in the configuration...

To configure a 2nd router to work as an access point can be done, there's more in this linky to assist you.

Basically you have to disable the DHCP on 1 router so as it isn't dishing out IP addresses and then you hard-wire the two routers together. This then gives you two Wireless access points to position wherever you can within the house.

Here's another page on Distance that may be handy.

I hope something here helps!

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
I used to use a a wireless router at on side of the house and and a access point in the minddle of the house that would repeat the single. Completing the wireless connectivity. Look for a AP with either repeat or a similar mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I use an airport extreme and an airport express and configured WDS which is what you want to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
u need an access point not another router (e.g. with a modem in it).

for example like the setup that powerbook g4 has

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
I use an airport extreme and an airport express and configured WDS which is what you want to do.

This is exactly what you want to do. Two regular routers don't communicate with eachother and don't let the wireless client "judge" which one to use for access. Even if you set the SSID to the same name on each router you'll have connection problems (or no connection at all)

Using Apple's WDS system, you can daisy chain multiple Airport Express's across several hundred feet for maximum range. Each Express gets it's own name (AE1, AE2, etc...) and has the same SSID (ie: AirportWireless). All your laptop has to do is select AirportWireless and the Express's do the rest.

I've had this setup for over a year now with no problems at all. I put my Express in my entertainment system so I can plug in my PS2 and 360 to get online wirelessly, without the need for an ethernet cable run all the way to my network switch.

Jem

Reaction score
So are people saying that the link I posted is a load of rubbish? You can't get 2 routers to talk to each other and run one as an access point? I'm curious now cos the article seemed to be talking perfect sense but I haven't got 2 routers to try it out...

I must say I thought from Nagger Pumpers question that he actually specifically wanted "a way where i can set up 2 routers at once to get an extra boost of range" and those articles do say it's possible with configuration...

*shrug* ahh well, wait for Nagger to return I guess he must be out of range :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
So are people saying that the link I posted is a load of rubbish? You can't get 2 routers to talk to each other and run one as an access point?

The article you posted says

Plug the Wireless Router to the main Router. Regular Port to Regular Port, using crossover cable (or straight patch if one port is an Uplink).

If you wanted to space out the routers for maximum effiency, say 50 feet, you have to run a 50 foot patch cord from the main router to the router that is configured as an access point. Even though they would still share the same SSID I have never heard of successful stories using 2 routers in this fashion.

By using 2 or more Airport's configured using WDS, they connect to eachother wirelessly without the need for any patch cable. You can plug a configured Airport Express into a wall outlet and walk away, no wires attached unless you plug in a USB printer or computer into the RJ-45 port. I did this in my kids room for a while, I put the Express in their room with their computer plugged into it for network access because their machine didn't have a wireless card.

r/
-IanCT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I have two linksys routers connected together....but only one of them is wireless. I have the wireless unit in Router mode as opposed to gateway mode, disabled DHCP and have my wired unit handle all of the IPs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.