• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Stupid Questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
1. Do serial numbers duplicate on different product brands? Like a Sony S/N matching a Phillips S/N?

2. Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?

3. Why is clockwise clockwise? Why isn't the other way clockwise?

4. How did the gun in Duck Hunt actually work? I don't remember installing a Wii sensor bar but it always knew where i was shooting ;)

If someone wants to try and answer these please do, or make your own :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
1 - Usually not. Most manufactures have their own systems that include some sort of proprietary numbering scheme. I suppose it IS possible though.

2 - Parkway and Driveway. Be definition, any road you can drive on is a driveway.

3- Someone had to set a standard.

4- No idea.

Reaction score
As long as no-one posts a reinactment of a forum question, y'know, the type of question that screamed out ... "Search me, search me!" but no-one listened...

Anyway,

Why is Australia know as "Down Under" when if anyone looked at the globe upside down it would be at the top?

Reaction score
1. Do serial numbers duplicate on different product brands? Like a Sony S/N matching a Phillips S/N?

Yes. For example, a gun manufacturer can even make two guns with the same serial number as long as they are different models (e.g., CoolPistol 123456A and NeatPistol 123456A).

2. Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?

Because parking on the parkway would be illegal, and driving on the driveway would eventually lead to a smashed garage door.

3. Why is clockwise clockwise? Why isn't the other way clockwise?

Because clocks are based on sundials, and in the Northern Hemisphere, a sundial "moves" clockwise during the day.

4. How did the gun in Duck Hunt actually work? I don't remember installing a Wii sensor bar but it always knew where i was shooting ;)

A sensor in the gun detected the specific color of the target object and scored a "hit" if that color was detected when the trigger was pulled.

Pulse-8 said:
Why is Australia know as "Down Under" when if anyone looked at the globe upside down it would be at the top?

Because we don't look at the globe upside down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As long as no-one posts a reinactment of a forum question, y'know, the type of question that screamed out ... "Search me, search me!" but no-one listened...

Anyway,

The westerners who "discovered" Australia were from the the northern hemisphere. Since maps have always been draw north to south based on true/magnetic north, it makes sense.

That coupled with a 16th (perhaps later) century theory that in order for the earth to be "balanced" there had to be a large land-mass where Australia resides otherwise the earth would spin out of control. The lasndmass had to be on the bottom side of the planet to balance out the mass of Europe, or so they thought. This continent was referred to as "The Antipodes".

Because clocks are based on sundials, and in the Northern Hemisphere, a sundial "moves" clockwise during the day.

That makes perfect sense.

Reaction score
Aww baggss I was only muckin about...but what an excellent historical heads up! but get this...if you suddenly found yourself floating in the universe with no reference then it would be spooky!

I sometimes like to lie on the grass, arch my back keeping my head on terra firma while scanning the world from this new perspective....it's a buzz !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What's another word for Thesaurus?

How do deer know to cross the road at those yellow signs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Why is Bush still the president of the USA?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because no one has done anything to remove him. We have a system, it actually works. If there were sufficient dissatisfaction with him, and there were solid proof he had broken laws, the case might be otherwise. Until then, he remains in office as the legally elected leader of the US. We made a decision, and we have to live with it.

OP
alucard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A sensor in the gun detected the specific color of the target object and scored a "hit" if that color was detected when the trigger was pulled.

Cool. I've been wondering how it worked for years. Thank you :)

A few more:

1. Why are the buttons on mens' shirts on the opposite side to those on ladies' garments?

2. Why is baseball called the World Series if it is only played in the US?

3. Where does all the white go when the snow melts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool. I've been wondering how it worked for years. Thank you :)

A few more:

1. Why are the buttons on mens' shirts on the opposite side to those on ladies' garments?

2. Why is baseball called the World Series if it is only played in the US?

1 - Good question. I have no idea. EDIT: Read THIS.

2 - Baseball is played in lost of places. Cuba and Japan spring to mind. MLB as an organization only recognizes themselves as the worlds authority and sanctioning body for baseball, so therefore only US (and those "almost US" Canadians") are eligible for the "World Series".

3- The white is the reflection of light off the crystalized water that is snow, just like an ice cube. When it melts, the water changes to a different state and the color changes as light is able to pass through it and reflect differently

Reaction score

It's related to times when women of wealth had an assistant to help them get dressed ... having buttons on the opposite side makes it easier for a right-handed person to button your shirt for you.

Snow is made of ice crystals, which are clear. When millions of ice crystals refract light into one another, all the scatter averages out and you get white light. (in simple terms, white light is an equal amount of all visible colors of light)

I admit to being stumped on the World Series thing.

OP
alucard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You guys are good. Here are some more:

Can't anybody who has a job go in the "employees only" doors at restaurants? Shouldn't they be more specific and say "employees of this place only?

If shampoo comes in so many colours, why is the lather on your head always white?

If you choke a Smurf what color does it turn?

Reaction score
1. In that restaurant, you are no longer an employee, until you return to work. Our roles change throughout the day, hence a taxi driver can be a passenger when on a bus.
2. There is actually very little colouring in relation to the amount of lather produced, which is mostly water, formed into bubbles. See the snow question as to why it's white.
3. Purple/red.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
I have always wondered about the Deer and the yellow signs ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
the button is also on the right side of mens garments becasue back then, when the man would get in a sword fight, he could undo the bottons with his left hand wile he faught with his sword in his right hand

Reaction score
the button is also on the right side of mens garments becasue back then, when the man would get in a sword fight, he could undo the bottons with his left hand wile he faught with his sword in his right hand

I did a quick search and I see that has been offered as a possible reason by some authorities, so this isn't a slam on you kman ... But I find this theory specious at best. I carry a gun every day underneath a cover garment, and if I need the gun in a hurry I'm not going to be using one hand to get to it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe I provided a good link on the last page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
I did a quick search and I see that has been offered as a possible reason by some authorities, so this isn't a slam on you kman ... But I find this theory specious at best. I carry a gun every day underneath a cover garment, and if I need the gun in a hurry I'm not going to be using one hand to get to it. :)

its not wile ther reaching for ther sword, it was during there fight to take there button jacket off, it would allow more of a free movement without the jacket restricting there movements.

i also believe its kinda not true, because when you were in the fight, if you had the dexterity to not get killed and unbutton your jacket at the same time, you were great

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.