Is my mighty mouse going bad??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
The past couple days I have been having scroll problems. Sometimes when I scroll the scroll will shoot all the way to the bottom of the page and jerk up and down like a kind of seizure.

Anyone else had this problem? Is there a year warranty to get a replacement if it goes bad?

Reaction score
Precisely why I returned my after Christmas without opening it.

I got some much negative feedback from people I thought I didn't need another job. Having to "clean" the scroll button once a week or every other week is not something I want to deal with. My Kenninsgton Studio Mouse works fine and I've never had to clean anything!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
It can be due to the dirt inside your mighty mouse(Scrollball). Try to clean it with a lint-free cloth as shown on this video.(moisten the cloth using only water, making sure not to oversaturate it)

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Thanks for the help and the video. That's good, asl ong as the dirt or whatever actually comes out, but if it's lodged in, I suppose you're out of luck. I'll have to check the warranty to make sure it is good for a year, if it doesn't last, I'll just turn it in as defective for a new one.

Reaction score
Regarding the mouse cursor suddenly shooting off into some far flung corner of your screen, this happens to me on both my Mac & PC.

On my Mac I was just using the keyboard tray as a mousepad as I'd been told that you could use the mouse without a mousepad ... not true for me as when I used a mousepad the sudden seizures have more or less stopped.

On my PC I always use a gel wrist support mouse pad which doesn't stop the mouse cursor from darting about like a firefly just as I'm trying to select something.

My opinion of the MM is that while it looks great it doesn't function properly and consistantly due to a bad design. I still use it though but if one day it chucks a hissy fit and any of my tried and true methods fail ... then it's being put out to pasture ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.