Locked out of open Windows Network...HELP!

Reaction score
Hi, I have a xp media center pc and an imac (core duo with 10.4). I use to have no issues getting access to my server or my hp pc for shared folders from my imac. I want to import photos from my hp but my imac won't even search or view the network...it comes up blank. I've turned my firewalls (for mac) and file sharing on and off, nothing. the hp has the firewall turned off and is using avg for antivirus. the hp can see the mac in the network, but can't get it. So, how can I get my mac to see the entire network again...it seems stuck! Thanks!!!

Reaction score
Try this:

go to Finder and in the menu select Go>Connect To Server

Then look to the right of the window and click on the icon that looks like a clock and see if your PC Share address is there, if yes, click it and then click connect.

OP
M
Reaction score
Nothing...comes up with an error (network issue)

tried to open 192.168.1.103
connection failed...
the server may not exist or it is not operational at this time. check the server name or ip address and try again.
how do i ping or maybe even use a command prompt to test the network? how can i view my current ip?

OP
M
Reaction score
got access...but only by activating my wifi

i use a lan connection and disabled my wireless card on the imac, i turned it back on and wham, the network shows back up. how do i tell my network to just use the lan connection, not the wireless? wifi is too unstable.

Reaction score
If you drag the lan connection icon from your desktop into your Login Items window of your User Account then whenever you startup your Mac the Share should mount automatically. You need Admin privies for this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
What appears to be happening is that you may be getting a different IP with the LAN cable from your router than with your WIFI, for some reason (likely firewall) the second IP is not allowed through.

Check your router settings as well as firewall settings on your PC if applicable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.