*HELP!* Static/Metallic sounding Echo from webcam recordings

Reaction score
Hi guys! ive never posted in this section of the forum so hopefully someone can help me :)

Im an aspiring singer and the built in webcam in the macbook pro is great for recording random videos/songs for practice etc.

some background info

*im using imovie hd to record the videos.

* i have my audio input set at the highest setting with "ambient noise reducction" checked

my problem is , is that im getting a very subtle "metallic" echo sounding thing trailing my voice with the movie playback....

im not sure what is causing this problem ...

any ideas?

i want to do two things

1.) get rid of this echo

2.) optimize and do whatever i need to do to make the audio recording sound as high quality as possible.

THANKS GUYS!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
get a real mic. that one is not meant for that sort of use for sure.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
does it do it when speaking normally, at a nomral distance, and the input level isn't cranked?

i'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions on microphones. that's not one of my aok's, but i know a little built in mic on a notebook or webcam is not going to be able to handle much more than normal speaking without ruining the fidelity of the recording.

OP
M
Reaction score
does it do it when speaking normally, at a nomral distance, and the input level isn't cranked?

i'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions on microphones. that's not one of my aok's, but i know a little built in mic on a notebook or webcam is not going to be able to handle much more than normal speaking without ruining the fidelity of the recording.

when im speaking normally and at a normal distance, with the input level set at a modest level i can still hear it but its a bit more faint.

i noticed something kinda important......at first i thought that it was just the playback in which i could hear the echo... but now i realize it is audible when im actually in the process of recording my voice! i dont remember having this problem before?

eric can u try setting ur input at highest with ambient noise reduction and try speaking into the mic and see if u get the same echo?

:)!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i would, but i'm at work on windows xp pro.

my macbook is at home.

perhaps someone else will wander by and give it a shot?

OP
M
Reaction score
i would, but i'm at work on windows xp pro.

my macbook is at home.

perhaps someone else will wander by and give it a shot?

yes pls :) could someonee try it on their macbook/ mb pro and speak into it at a close proximity and see if they get the same echo?

thanks guys again a billion +1 !! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Ghz 17" iMac Core 2 Duo, 13" Macbook 2.16 Ghz, 17" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHZ
Although I don't have a MacBook, I do know a little about recording. By raising the input level so high, you're likely getting a little bit of feedback. If you're truely looking to be able to record something, you should look into a cheap USB Mic at the very least.

If you get to a point where you are a little more serious, that mic will help you record things into GarageBand and take your music to a new level.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.