Airport Status

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook/2G/1GB/white
This may seem like an obvious question to some people but it's never happened to me before...that I have noticed. Last night I was trying to reset my router (an old Belkin). Just a little aside...I did NOT realize that Belkin routers are guaranteed for life and they are shipping me a new one as I type.

As I was attempting to reconnect Airport, (my connection seemed to connect then disconnect several times) I noticed a NAME appearing in the "Airport Status" menu bar. Never before had I seen this. I think the name appearing is that of my neighbor but not totally sure.

What exactly does this mean?:confused:

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Its just the SSID name of the router you are connecting to thats all.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook/2G/1GB/white
Not sure what the SSID is. The router is a Belkin...F5D5230-4...other than that...I have spent a while searching for the answer and have come up empty handed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
SSID is the Service Set Identifier, the unique identifier for your wireless network. Don't worry, it's normal to have one- each wifi network has one in order to differentiate between networks.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook/2G/1GB/white
I did research the internet for what the SSID was. However, I am not sure how to locate what I am being asked for. Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Your neighbor probably has a wireless network setup and renamed their connection to their name. Their router is broadcasting strong enough to the point that your Airport is picking up their signal and showing it as an available network

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.