• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I Am Sick Of Windows

Reaction score
It constantly crashes, gets viri, needs fixing, updating, freezes, etc. What a piece of crap!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well, osx (and some of the standard apps packaged with osx) has the occasional issue as well, though not in the volume that windows tends to.

this was one of the reasons i switched. once i moved from mainframe support to wintel support at work, my tolerance for windows shenanegans dropped considerably. i do like the amount of flexibility a wondows system can allow for an advanced user, but the negative experiences were leaving me drained.

you should check these threads here, if you haven't seen them yet, you'll have fun:

Switchers, what do you love most about your new Mac?

switchers - top 5 things you don't miss!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Windows is a fairly powerful platform - for those who can master its shenanigans, but for the average user (and even moderately advanced users) it can be a bit of a hassle to deal with. Random crashing of random programs at the worst possible times, sometimes multiple updates in a single day... the constant defragmenting, firewalls, and anti-virus...

Transitioning to a Mac is like going from open ocean to a calm harbor... even on its bad days it is still a mild challenge...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
There is no perfect operating system. Every OS has its pitfalls, Mac OS X included. You just use whichever OS is the best for you and your needs.

One word of advice if you are going to Mac... don't look back. Turn off the little "Windows" switch in the back of your head and forget all you know about Windows when you are behind the wheel of a Mac. It will make the transition and learning experience much more pleasant and so much eaiser.

:black:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
on a related note...

last spring, at least a few months before i got my macbook (at the time i had a 17" HP pavillion notebook/desktop replacement) my mother in-law wanted a notebook computer. so i took her to bestbuy and we found her a relatively inexpensive 17" HP pavillion like mine (but less gutsy).

if i knew then what i know now, sheesh!

she moved to texas shortly after the purchase and within a month or so called us complaining of various problems (initiated by a click on an aol ad). among these: corrupt profile, non-working wireless internet, and other programs related shenanigans.

i on the other hand melted my pavillion a few months later... by playing games on my notebook. god forbid i should be able to play tropico without the thing heating up enough to melt it's own video card. i guess three turbo-prop sized fans on the bottom of the unit and half of it's perimeter ringed by "vents" didn't seem to dissapate enough heat.

i really should just tell my mother in-law to sell off her HP notebook and buy a macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
on a related note...
i on the other hand melted my pavillion a few months later... by playing games on my notebook. god forbid i should be able to play tropico without the thing heating up enough to melt it's own video card. i guess three turbo-prop sized fans on the bottom of the unit and half of it's perimeter ringed by "vents" didn't seem to dissapate enough heat.

i really should just tell my mother in-law to sell off her HP notebook and buy a macbook.

Oh the humanity!

While I was on deployment I tried to kill my 1.5GHZ Celeron-M laptop by playing Sim City 4... it kept locking up and shutting down. Turned out there was a plastic sheet on the inside of the fan vent preventing air-flow. I guess someone was asleep on the assembly line...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.