external hard drive and windows files

Reaction score
ok, so i just picked up a seagate 300gb external hard drive to keep work files seperate from my ibook's hd and portable. i have a lot of mp3's on two windows machines that i would like to store on my external hd as well, in a second partition, so i can listen to my music at work on my ibook, cut my last tie to the windows boxes (i have about 60gb total, so there is no way i could fit it all on my ibook's hd). my seagate manual recommends installing drivers on my windows machines to allow the windows system to read and write to a drive formatted for mac os. i am having trouble finding these drivers needed. does anyone have any recommendations on where to look or what to use?

thanks,
jim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
That's because they don't exist as far as I know, People have always just used the FAT32 partition schema to do it because both OSs read it. Unless MS or somebody recently developed a driver that would read an HFS partition. Which I would have been using instead if there were any.

Does the drive come with a CD?

Reaction score
The best filesystem to use would be HFS+. it is the default filesystem for mac, and there are installable drivers for Windows. However, I don't know of any free ones. After a bit of google-searching, I was able to come across something called "MacDrive", though I haven't tried it out personally.

It has a free trial, so you may as well give it a shot, and let us know how it turns out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
I found MacDrive Also.

I'm not sure how you can definitively state that there are drivers though, if you don't either have them, or know where to get them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
There are no "free" drivers for Windows to read a Mac disc, period. Format the drive as FAT-32 and you'll be fine. You won't suffer any noticeable degradation of use, but avoid files over 4Gb in size since FAT32 has a limit.

OP
M
Reaction score
The best filesystem to use would be HFS+. it is the default filesystem for mac, and there are installable drivers for Windows. However, I don't know of any free ones. After a bit of google-searching, I was able to come across something called "MacDrive", though I haven't tried it out personally.

It has a free trial, so you may as well give it a shot, and let us know how it turns out!

thanks dude, i'll give it a shot tonite and see how it works.

btw, whats HFS+?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks dude, i'll give it a shot tonite and see how it works.

btw, whats HFS+?

"Hierarchical File System" AKA "Macintosh OS Extended"

Reaction score
There are no "free" drivers for Windows to read a Mac disc, period. Format the drive as FAT-32 and you'll be fine. You won't suffer any noticeable degradation of use, but avoid files over 4Gb in size since FAT32 has a limit.

And FAT-32 has a partition limit of 32GB, which means that he would have to have 10 partitions to use the entire drive.

Just as a suggestion for you, though: Since you have a 30GB drive, you should probably keep at least 1 F32 partition, in case you ever need to use it with other Windows computers that don't have the drivers installed.

Reaction score

MacDrive works very well in allowing the pc to access a mac formated drive. Of course, it isn't free, but it does solve the mac\pc format problem.

Reaction score

MacDrive works very well in allowing the pc to access a mac formated drive. Of course, it isn't free, but it does solve the mac\pc format problem and avoids the fat problems...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
And FAT-32 has a partition limit of 32GB, which means that he would have to have 10 partitions to use the entire drive.

Just as a suggestion for you, though: Since you have a 30GB drive, you should probably keep at least 1 F32 partition, in case you ever need to use it with other Windows computers that don't have the drivers installed.

Actually Windows can use (read/write/boot) FAT-32 partitions larger than 32Gb, it just can't create them. If he uses his Mac to make the FAT32 partition, it won't be an issue. It's not a FAT limitation, but one that MS built into new versions of Windows to push folks to NTFS.

Read the last few lines of THIS

OP
M
Reaction score
hey guys, thanks for all the replies. i dl'ed a trial version of macdrive, and i worked perfectly. i got all my music off of my windows boxes, and i have severed the last tie! sweeeeeeet.

now how do i get itunes to play them off of the external hard drive? hmmm, a question for the itunes board i suppose.

again, thanks all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just use the, "Add To Library" function in the "File" menu in iTunes. Simply add the whole drive, or folder wherein the music resides. And let iTunes keep it organized.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.