• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

iPhone / iPod ring-tone...

Reaction score
I think it would be cool if the rumored iPhone had it's own very unique 'ring-tone'. It would have to be a distinguishable, very sophisticated, very cool ring tone that only the iPhone would have. The iPhone would not use or allow any other ring-tones to be used, downloaded, etc. It would be one of those cool, subtle sounds only Apple could come up with.

With all the incredibly stupid-sounding, anoying ring-tones that some use, it would be really cool for the iPhone to be different even in a small way like this. It would be totally Apple to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Sounds like a nice idea, but pretty much any sound can be sampled and then played back on another phone. Also, any phone that didn't allow additional ring-tones would immediately be ignored by the teenage market (not necessarily a bad thing, but a marketing blunder).

The killer app would be a phone, with a screen about twice the size of a current iPOD screen, 20 gigs of solid state storage, wi-fi connectivity to your Mac or straight to iTunes, weighing the same as a nano and running something looking like OS X... oh and costing less than $300.

I'm just dreaming, but I'd buy one...

Reaction score
if it played one of the songs in your music collection as your ring-tone, that'd be great. you could just select which song you want to hear, and change it whenever, even according to your current mood.

i like my idea. i'm glad i though of that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
Ah yes i love the distinct apple ringtone idea- like the nokia one back in the day. Good plan! Although, i do like to have different ringtones for different people... and music is nice to hear as a ringtone sometimes.

I have the samsung d807 which has an 'mp3 player' i dont use that, but you can use songs as your ringtones- although it has to be 600kb, which is the most annoying thing ever- i have to cut it on garageband and convert to mp3 in itunes then bluetooth it to my phone (works wtih most phones btw- free ringtones of any song you want!)

Edit: If you watch the keynote the ringtone he uses i think would be the default apple one :) its pretty good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.