• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New iBooks Soon!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Source: ThinkSecret.com

Apple will soon announce new iBook models with speeds up to 900MHz, but will not break the 1GHz barrier.

Think Secret has confirmed specifications on the three new models through various highly reliable sources as well as company documents. The new models will not have any new features or increases in memory or hard drive size, making them simply 'speed bump' changes. The low-end model will be boosted from 700MHz to 800MHz and the mid-range and high-end models will go from 800MHz to 900MHz.

Although an exact release date of the new models is not known, it is expected an announcement will be made sometime in the next two weeks. Sources have confirmed the new models are in full production in Asia and are now in transit to the United States.

Prices for the three models will stay at existing MSRPs, but it is thought that Apple could also lower prices slightly to spur interest at the last minute if they so desire.

Disappointing for some, the iBook line will not be breaking the 1GHz barrier with these speed bumps. One possible reason for this are clear indications that Apple is finding customer confusion in a number of areas when they compare iBooks to PowerBook G4 units. Over the past few weeks, Apple Store employees have shared with Think Secret store intelligence proving that while the 12-inch PowerBook G4 is popular, price-conscious customers are comparing it to the iBook models and "buying down", despite the clear difference in speed between the G3 and G4 processors. Store employees say internal e-mail chatter over the past four months is showing sales staffers believe a boost to 1GHz on the iBooks would further confuse the issue for consumers, making them think the difference in speed in not as great, as well as other features. As one Apple retail store employee put it, "(Apple CEO) Steve Jobs doesn't have to deal with the 'megahertz myth', but we have to every day."

Availability of existing models is still good as sales have somewhat dropped off according to distributor sources who monitor numbers daily. Apple inside sales representatives have been actively trying to sell remaining stock of these models, offering incentives for dealers to buy ranging from free shipping to quantity discounts. Independent dealers don't seem to be biting at the opportunity. While dealers didn't know until this report what the exact specs of the new iBook models were, some told Think Secret it was very obvious in the past few weeks that the push by Apple to get rid of existing models was a clear sign new configurations were on the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
so theyll still be G3s?

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Originally posted by MacAddikt@Apr 7 2003, 09:59 AM
so theyll still be G3s?
It appears so. At least from all the stories I've read. I'll bet they stay G3 until the 970's come out and are put in the powerbooks. Then the iBooks will move to G4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I guess ill post pone buying an iBook till they get a new processor.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
schweb @ Apr 7 2003, 06:17 AM
It appears so. At least from all the stories I've read. I'll bet they stay G3 until the 970's come out and are put in the powerbooks. Then the iBooks will move to G4

I appears to be a good guess.

I think the PPC 970 Processor may be placed in the X server or the desktop tower first.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I think the 970 will be in the XServe and the high-end PowerMacs in the fall when 10.3 comes out. Then over the next few months it will filter to other powermacs and the powerbooks. I see the iMac staying at G4 for awhile and iBook moving to G4.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
schweb @ Apr 7 2003, 11:47 AM
Yes, I think the 970 will be in the XServe and the high-end PowerMacs in the fall when 10.3 comes out. Then over the next few months it will filter to other powermacs and the powerbooks. I see the iMac staying at G4 for awhile and iBook moving to G4.

I agree. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.