PSE4 v. Aperture

Reaction score
I have had my new MBP for about two weeks. One of my primary uses for a computer is to work with digital images. I tend to take a lot of photos (lots of sports photography at 8.3fps).

With my Dell and HP notebooks, I used Photoshop Express 4. I rarely used any filters or special effects (unless you count USM) and never got into editing beyond the basic image enhancement stuff.

Before I install PSE4 onto my Parallels "machine" on my MBP, I'm trying to decide what, if any, benefit Apple's Aperture program would have over PSE4's basic editing and organization capabilities.

Any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
There is a trial of Aperture on apples site

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You are trying to compare two totally different types of applications.
Photoshop Elements/Express is an image editing application.
Aperture is a photograph correction/management application.
While some of their features may seem similar, they are still very different and serve separate purposes.

If you are serious about the photography, then I would suggest getting Aperture for the work you have described.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
D3vilboy is exactly right...

Also, adobe lightroom is comp to aperture and free.

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
I use Aperture and would recommend it for processing images straight after the shoot.

If you are not sure then download the free trial of Aperture to see if it does what you want it to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I assume your shooting RAW and not JPEG, not sure how much help either Aperture or lightroom beta would be on JPEGS never used either app for anything other than a RAW converter.

OP
ToddG
Reaction score
You are trying to compare two totally different types of applications.
Photoshop Elements/Express is an image editing application.
Aperture is a photograph correction/management application.

Understood. I guess I'm wondering if the Aperture management capabilities will give me anything I don't already get from the organizing/management features bundled with PSE4's editor.

I think I'll take the advice to try the free month of the program and see whether it grabs me. Thanks, all!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.