• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Recording TV with my iMac

G

GaryJ73167

Before asking my tv recording question, here is what i am using:

iMac 17" Core Duo intel 1.8ghz 1 Gig RAM With a Cable modem

My goal:

to record tv shows (Scheduled) during the night on my imac, and, when i wake up in the morning, just copy the shows that i recorded to my jump drive or hard drive and take them to work with me.

I dont have much time in the morning, so, i want to make sure that there is no encoding needed. I want to just be able to wake up, get the TV shows that i recorded, and copy them straight over to my data storage.

Am I looking at the right thing?

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvhybridna

And, one more thing. If I buy this, does this come with everything I need? I would hate to open the package, only to find out that there were other things I should have purchased with it.

the source that i am going to be recording from is Coaxial Cable. I am just going to run a splitter off my cable modem and hook the coaxial to this unit.

One final question (I promise). Do these devices deliver good quality? I mean, I know I am only going to be able to get the quality that the coaxial cable will deliver, but, will this device preserve it at least?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
I have not tried a tvcard with my mac however I am sure it works as well if not better then the wintv cards do on a pc. I believe that you just connect your cable to the card and then set the software to record what you want. As far as quality, once again on the wintv card you can set the quality of the recording the better the quality the larger the file. Depending on what you want to watch you may need a fairly large jump drive.

OP
G

GaryJ73167

Reel1, thanks for your quick reply. I now have a 2gig jump drive, so, i am thinking (hoping) that it will belarge enough to do what i want with it.

I bought some winTV cards for my windows machines in the past, but, was never happy with the quality of the recording. i was never expecting it to be better than the TV signal i was recording, but, at least be the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
el gato makes excellent products, and you can customize the quality greatly. If you are worried about size there is also an option when you are scheduling to have it convert for iPod after it is finished (I have never used it since I edit out my commercials before converting, but since you are just popping them on a drive to take with you, that shouldn't be a problem). Video Quality is excellent, scheduling is simple, and you won't need to worry about encoding anything when you wake up in the morning

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I have the El Gato's 250 which is awesome and I chose it over the hybrid since it does the processing itself instead of putting the weight on the computers processor. It's quite a smooth little system :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.