• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Refurbs in Apple Stores?

B

brockley

I am looking to buy a new laptop and thinking about a Mac. I have used Macs quite a bit but never owned one. I am deciding between a G4 15" powerbook and a refurb macbook both in the $900 range. I like the macbook for being a little smaller and coming with a warranty of up to three years while most used powerbooks dont have any applecare left or else they are too new and out of my price range of $900 or so. The macbooks are also non metal so I wouldn't have to worry about dents. My main question is can I go to my local Apple Store and buy a refurbed macbook or do I have to order online?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I am looking to buy a new laptop and thinking about a Mac. I have used Macs quite a bit but never owned one. I am deciding between a G4 15" powerbook and a refurb macbook both in the $900 range. I like the macbook for being a little smaller and coming with a warranty of up to three years while most used powerbooks dont have any applecare left or else they are too new and out of my price range of $900 or so. The macbooks are also non metal so I wouldn't have to worry about dents. My main question is can I go to my local Apple Store and buy a refurbed macbook or do I have to order online?

Thanks

The apple store I visit is 10 miles from my condo so its not a big deal to just drive down and see what they have. I suggest you call them before you make the trip to see what they have.

back to your question, there is a small table back near the genius bar at my local apple store that has computers in boxes with prices on them.. I am not sure if they are refurb models or open box returns or possibly display units for sale.. I have never asked.

so the best answer I can give you is its possible they have refurb computers in the apple stores.. give em a ring!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
The Apple Store in Schaumburg, Illinois (Chicago suburbs) has the same type of arrangement: these are mostly customer returns, but I've seen some pretty sweet deals with Mac hardware. They also have all sorts of accessories that have been returned as well: I've picked up some great deals on spare notebook batteries and iPod accessories there.

The key is that they only wheel the table out at certain times of the month.

As kodorsean says, you should call the store before you go to see what they have in stock.

Good luck!

OP
B

brockley

Ok, thanks. I should be getting my scholarship check today which would be paying for this so I will be making a trip shortly as its only 20 or so minutes away from me. Problem is this is finals week for me so I don't know if I can resist the temptation to go buy a computer when I should be studying, especially since Ill be spending the weekend in Tahoe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.