PDA

View Full Version : Complete this sentence: I would buy an iPhone if...

kaidomac
12-03-2006, 04:38 PM
What are your requirements? Here's mine:

-it has speakerphone
-it has Bluetooth
-it has a good battery life
-it is more scratch-resistant than an iPod
-it has a dock
-it is either a flip or a slider (preferably slider!)
-has both a scrollwheel and a keypad
-Verizon carries it
-it has buttons an adult can press (i.e. non-microscopic)
-it has a great GUI

Inspired by this Engadget post. (http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/03/kevin-rose-confirms-iphone/#comments) I currently have a Motorola v710 and I love it - sounds great, buttons are big and easy to push, has Bluetooth, and has speakerphone. I am also a big Verizon fan; they have excellent reception in my area. I don't think those requirements are too far out of line with Apple; they usually do good work and include a fair number of features in their machines. My "new ever 2" year plan is coming up early next year, so I would definitely be interested in an Apple iPhone.

schweb
12-03-2006, 04:44 PM
I can probably guarantee Verizon won't carry it since I'm predicting it will be a GSM phone.

Here's my rationale why:
- GSM gives it a wider reach internationally.
- GSM lets Apple sell the phone unlocked and without needing to partner up with an existing carrier.
- In the US, GSM opens up markets with Cingular, T-Mobile, and Alltel on the national level.
- Verizon has a music service and tends to cripple the OS of all their phones...Apple won't allow that.

Besides, all the current rumors seem to point to the fact that even IF Apple partners with a carrier, it will most likely be T-Mobile.

With all that being said, I think your list is great. Add a killer, easy to use UI and I'd go for it.

kaidomac
12-03-2006, 05:08 PM
I can probably guarantee Verizon won't carry it since I'm predicting it will be a GSM phone.

Here's my rationale why:
- GSM gives it a wider reach internationally.
- GSM lets Apple sell the phone unlocked and without needing to partner up with an existing carrier.
- In the US, GSM opens up markets with Cingular, T-Mobile, and Alltel on the national level.
- Verizon has a music service and tends to cripple the OS of all their phones...Apple won't allow that.

Besides, all the current rumors seem to point to the fact that even IF Apple partners with a carrier, it will most likely be T-Mobile.

With all that being said, I think your list is great. Add a killer, easy to use UI and I'd go for it.

Ooh, I totally forgot about the GUI, that was high on my list too - added! I haven't met a cell phone UI that I've liked yet, but my v710 has a semi-decent one compared to the other ones I've tried. I think Apple could really make a hit in the cell phone market. I hope Kevin Rose is right about CDMA though...

schweb
12-03-2006, 05:54 PM
Oh, I think they'll do CDMA eventually, but I would think GSM will be first.

chaslam
12-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Im hoping it will be 3G. We have had 3G for years here in the UK, and I would never switch back to GSM now. We are just starting to get HSDPA aswell so if apple make it GSM I will be very dissapointed and it will be a step back technology wise for them.

schweb
12-03-2006, 07:58 PM
It might support 3G, but it will definitely be GSM. The US is Apple's market and unfortunately, we're no where near as advanced as Europe in the mobile market.

SeVeN
12-03-2006, 09:10 PM
-Cingular has it.

schweb
12-03-2006, 09:14 PM
-Cingular has it.

And your reference is?

Considering Cingular just opened their own music store, I would be very surprised. It could happen, but I'd be surprised.

mynameis
12-03-2006, 09:57 PM
-my Slvr breaks
-I can buy it outright for under $250
-It has Java application support
-It has all the features of my Slvr and then some

PowerBookG4
12-04-2006, 12:31 AM
i would love a almost exact copy of ical, address book, and mail

I would also like some really innovative way to text message.

boneheadz
12-04-2006, 12:47 AM
I would buy it if...

NO ITUNES (I have an ipod, need a good phone the two can never meet)
GSM
syncs with ical and address nicely
Great GUI
3G (not deal breaker, in canada data costs your first born)
Decide voice memo
touch screen
slider
pda would be nice
finish matches black mac book (all my portable gadgets have to match)

Hey, kaidomac, you like the V710 why (PM me I'm not being rude) just got one from one of my jobs and so far I hate it, what am I missing.

daryl

trpnmonkey41
12-04-2006, 12:51 AM
I would buy it if...

NO ITUNES (I have an ipod, need a good phone the two can never meet)
slim to no chance that they dont include iTunes

boneheadz
12-04-2006, 12:56 AM
slim to no chance that they dont include iTunes

Your write about that. For what ever reason the market wants music in phones, rather than a phone.

But it is all moot, I really don't think there is a chance in heck that apple will release a phone.

daryl

Aptmunich
12-04-2006, 01:28 AM
- If it doesn't have a joystick (Sony Ericsson make great phones, but the joysticks always start playing up after 14 months)

- If I can get it with an eplus contract for €150,- or less

D3v1L80Y
12-04-2006, 05:53 AM
Your write about that. For what ever reason the market wants music in phones, rather than a phone.

But it is all moot, I really don't think there is a chance in heck that apple will release a phone. lI'm with you on that one. This rumor has been going on for almost 6 years now. Apple has tried its hand in peripherals and devices other than computers plenty of times in the past. So far (with the exception of the iPod) they have all flopped.
The market is flooded with phones and there are plenty of big league players out there already (Motorla, Sony/Ericsson, LG, Nokia, etc). Apple would have one heck of an uphill climb before the concept of releasing a phone would be anywhere near profitable for them. It is no different than the companies that try to release MP3 players... they all get crushed by the iPod.
It is true that most people don't really want a "phone" per se anyway. What they do want is:

"real music" ringtones, games, walkie-talkie, internet access, GPS, email, instant messaging, MP3 players, video playback...etc., etc., etc.

The last thing that most people want from a mobile phone these days is something to make a decent phone call with. It seems that many just want some gadget that will do anyting and everything possible so they can "impress" people with it.
I mean, that one commercial on TV right now has the two guys getting offended when some chick calls their phone a "phone".

The more likely concept IMO would be that Apple starts expanding their iTunes service to certain phones/carriers and not actually releasing a phone of their own.

schweb
12-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Here's an interesting article from AppleInsider on the iPhone:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2285

AI usually has good info and it's being provided by a Prudential analyst so I bet it's reliable.

Seems Apple's working on 2 phones. Both will be limited to GSM/WCDMA (not the same as CDMA) which will limit use to T-Mo or Cingular in the US.

fleurya
12-05-2006, 09:12 PM
- supports A2DP BT 2.0 (since my MBP doens't, I doubt the phone will)
- unlimited Itunes music (since my SLVR has a 100 song limit ;) I'm sure this will also.
- HSDPA/UMTS capability
- A keypad that doesn't require a stylus ( based on the pics I saw on Cnet Crave, the keys are about the width of a nickel!)

fleurya
12-05-2006, 09:17 PM
On the flip side, I hope it doesn't try to have a QWERTY keypad, that it isn't too thick (knowing Apple, it won't be) and is simply a music phone, rather than an all-in-one contraption that has a bunch of stuff that really doesn't work well so you don't use it anyway.

boneheadz
12-05-2006, 10:16 PM
I'm with you on that one... <snip>
It is true that most people don't really want a "phone" per se anyway. What they do want is:

"real music" ringtones, games, walkie-talkie, internet access, GPS, email, instant messaging, MP3 players, video playback...etc., etc., etc.

The last thing that most people want from a mobile phone these days is something to make a decent phone call with. It seems that many just want some gadget that will do anyting and everything possible so they can "impress" people with it.
I mean, that one commercial on TV right now has the two guys getting offended when some chick calls their phone a "phone".

The more likely concept IMO would be that Apple starts expanding their iTunes service to certain phones/carriers and not actually releasing a phone of their own.

I don't know if I agree that this is what most people want. It is what the market is offering. A phone has one stream of income for the carrier, the voice minutes. These all in one, make your lunch, get you a pretty girlfriend, devices have multiple streams, ringtones, data, graphics, and on and on.

The sad part is that if you want a phone that is slim and not too bad looking plus bluetooth and decent call management features, you also have to get everything else. Anything that is just a phone doesn't have bluetooth and is usually ugly.

Now, if apple did create a phone. (I stand by my statement that they won't)
5 more things I want.

Motorala's voice dial feature (it just works, everytime)
flip, slider and candybar style to choose.
Black with white accents (and reverse)
Total freedom around themes and desktop (think sony)
Steve's personal number pre programed so I can call him and tell him what he should be doing.

Aptmunich - If it doesn't have a joystick (Sony Ericsson make great phones, but the joysticks always start playing up after 14 months)

- If I can get it with an eplus contract for 150,- or less

I've never seen a phone older than a year wow.

daryl

PapaNoHair
12-06-2006, 06:20 AM
My carrier - Sprint - picks it up and......if......the phone looks good, works good and meets my simple needs.

PapaNoHair
01-16-2007, 01:30 AM
GSM lets Apple sell the phone unlocked
Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is "unlocked cell phone?" Or more precisely, if I purchase an unlocked cell phone will it work on my carrier (Sprint) without them throwing a (legal) fit? Will they know I am using it (or care)?

Netty4mac
01-16-2007, 01:33 AM
I would buy the iPhone if....

-my RAZR breaks
-my contract w/Verizon was up
-it would not be so expensive

sKaD
01-16-2007, 02:07 AM
Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is "unlocked cell phone?" Or more precisely, if I purchase an unlocked cell phone will it work on my carrier (Sprint) without them throwing a (legal) fit? Will they know I am using it (or care)?

Ignorance pardoned.

Unlocking a cell phone means it unrestricts the sim card that's allowed into it.

So as of right now it's exclusive to Cingular, so it's "locked" to Cingular sim cards only. If I put my T-Mobile sim card in it it would tell me "invalid sim" but if it was "unlocked" then I could place any GSM sim card into the device and be able to use at least my voice services with the device until I got the proper settings for wap/mms, etc.

PapaNoHair
01-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Ignorance pardoned.

Unlocking a cell phone means it unrestricts the sim card that's allowed into it.

So as of right now it's exclusive to Cingular, so it's "locked" to Cingular sim cards only. If I put my T-Mobile sim card in it it would tell me "invalid sim" but if it was "unlocked" then I could place any GSM sim card into the device and be able to use at least my voice services with the device until I got the proper settings for wap/mms, etc.

Thanks!

opus_az
01-16-2007, 11:47 AM
I would buy an iPhone if...

...the phone's ear speaker, microphone, and antenna are very good quality
...Cingular increases its poor coverage in my city
...it allowed 3rd party software

I might change my mind and not hold out for 3rd party software, it depends on initial reviews I guess, but getting my VPN on that would be a tremendous incentive.

fyrman22
01-16-2007, 03:46 PM
right now they were available!!!!!! That thing is flippin sweet.

sKaD
01-17-2007, 02:36 AM
good answer

NanoBite
01-17-2007, 03:26 AM
I would buy an iPhone if ...

Bill Gates knocks on my door with his entire music collection balancing on his head.

Aptmunich
01-17-2007, 06:42 AM
Pulse-8 turns up on my doorstep singing Waltzing Matilda (Best australian song ever).

NanoBite
01-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Can't sing.

Dillinger-63
01-20-2007, 07:30 PM
It was able to run apps like Documents2Go, Agendus Premier and the carrier was Verizon. I'd even switch to Cingular if it could run the apps I need. So I guess for a while I'll be keeping my Treo 650.

Carol247
01-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Verizon
Desktop themes
itunes (unlimited or LOTS!)
Price within reason
Bluetooth
Slim, easy to carry

gcopter
01-24-2007, 02:13 PM
-OS works as smooth as in the original size version (OS X)
-allows additional software installation:mac:

I have been a Blackberry and Windows Mobile phone user and frankly their interface sucks. Making a phone call or exiting an application to make a phone call requires multiple key presses. With my current Razr (from Sprint) whenever I attempt to end a call, I have to press the power off button like 4 times before the phone exits the call menu/display.:(

RNDdave
01-24-2007, 02:22 PM
If it was a 3G device AND Depending on price/contract details in the UK.

3g is the way to go - 2.5g isn't exactly innovative and what's the point having a pretty darn good web browser if you don't have 3g 'speed' when you're on the move?

I think the iPhone looks very sleek but no 3rd party apps, price and 2.5g - well maybe the next one will at least address the 3g thing. :(

Stephanella
01-25-2007, 04:50 PM
If it also cooks, cleans, takes the dogs out for wees, comes with a lifetime Harrods discount card and does not ring when I am busy. If it could also cost below 300 it may also help.

christm
01-26-2007, 11:09 AM
i would buy it - if.

it came down in price A LOT

could be on other networks (i.e orange, O2, Virgin) in the uk

and if it supported 3rd party apps.

hclincha
02-07-2007, 07:06 PM
3G - I ain't buying a new phone without it.
Unlocked, or unlockable.
Warranty and service like Sony Ericsson or Nokia, not like the mp3-player vendors (iPod included).

iSebastianGrey
02-07-2007, 09:04 PM
I'm already going to buy one. It seems to have all the features I would want already. Though I would like it to be cheaper, I understand why it isn't.

knucklehead13
03-05-2007, 07:19 PM
...it were available on any network OTHER THAN cingular (and, presumably in the future, t-mobile).

my personal experiences with cingular are such that i will never, ever, EVER, EVER, EVER, even CONSIDER for a HALF-MILLISECOND going back to them. and t-mobile has crappy reception in my neighborhood.

blair cerny | sf.ca