4 Port 2.0 USB Mini Hub Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro. 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. 4GB RAM.
hi all. i have had this 4 port USB Hub (somewhat like an extension cord for USB ports) for a while now, but until recently have decided to try it on the 2.0 port on my eMac. the mini hub itself says that it runs on 2.0 ports, yet i've had it on my 1.1 keyboard port.

my question is why is it when i plug the mini hub to a 2.0 port, it doesn't recognize any peripherals being plugged in, yet when i plug it to the 1.1 keyboard port, it does (as long as the peripherals run on 1.1)? thanx for any suggestions.

MB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What make/model/brand is it?
My first inclination was that despite its claims, it simply cannot run under USB 2.0. Yet, that makes no sense as USB 2.0 ports are backwards compatible, so even if the hub device wasn't 2.0 it should still work.

Do other devices work when plugged into your USB 2.0 ports?

OP
munkism
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro. 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. 4GB RAM.
What make/model/brand is it?
My first inclination was that despite its claims, it simply cannot run under USB 2.0. Yet, that makes no sense as USB 2.0 ports are backwards compatible, so even if the hub device wasn't 2.0 it should still work.

Do other devices work when plugged into your USB 2.0 ports?

Yeah, I have all my other peripherals plugged in to the 2.0 ports and they work fine. I'm beginning to lean towards your theory of despite what the 4 port Hub says, it only works on a 1.1 port. The brand is not on the product (was an ebay win). well, anyways, thanks for any help.

MB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz MacBook '07, 1.83 GHz Mac Mini '06, 700MHz Emac 2003, 400MHz Imac 2001
I believe that all eMacs have 1.1 Ports. The 1.1 ports on the keyboard simply do not have enough power in them to support a USB hub, much less peripherals plugged into that hub. I suggest using the hub on the side of the eMac, where the main USB ports are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I believe that all eMacs have 1.1 Ports. The 1.1 ports on the keyboard simply do not have enough power in them to support a USB hub, much less peripherals plugged into that hub. I suggest using the hub on the side of the eMac, where the main USB ports are.

You do know this thread is 3.5 years old....right ? But great use of the search feature .;D

Clay

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.