• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Hd-dvd Vs. Blu-ray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
I think HD-DVD is better how about everyone else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
It depends what you need it for and what you mean by 'better'.

OP
imacmatt09
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It depends what you need it for and what you mean by 'better'.

i mean what side are you on like the mac pc arguement. some people like both pc an mac and some people just like one. i guess im just sayin which are you a fanboy for

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I don't think you have to be a fanyboy to prefer either format. I think trying to create an argument over this is almost as immature as drudging up the worthless PC vs Mac debate.

OP
imacmatt09
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uhh sorry?

I don't think you have to be a fanyboy to prefer either format. I think trying to create an argument over this is almost as immature as drudging up the worthless PC vs Mac debate.

yeah i see where your comming from but people have been doing the xbox vs ps2 thing for a while but hey thats them i mean you can delete this thread if you wanna

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not going to delete it, there's nothing against the rules in doing it. I'm just pointing out that this is pointless.

I'm not really sure the what the point is of creating an artificial flame war and calling people "fanboys". It's not like the point of the thread is to actually educate people or change anyone's mind. It's just to argue with half-truths and emotional opinions.

Exactly like the PC vs Mac debate. :)

OP
imacmatt09
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not going to delete it, there's nothing against the rules in doing it. I'm just pointing out that this is pointless.

I'm not really sure the what the point is of creating an artificial flame war and calling people "fanboys". It's not like the point of the thread is to actually educate people or change anyone's mind. It's just to argue with half-truths and emotional opinions.

Exactly like the PC vs Mac debate. :)

is it possible for me to delete it? sorry im kinda a noob to this

Reaction score
Whats the difference? Only thing I have noticed is that local stores seem to have more HD-DVD titles.

OP
imacmatt09
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whats the difference? Only thing I have noticed is that local stores seem to have more HD-DVD titles.

the real difference is that hd-dvd is alotttt cheaper but holds a little but less than blu-ray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i mean what side are you on like the mac pc arguement. some people like both pc an mac and some people just like one. i guess im just sayin which are you a fanboy for

If someone asked me if they should get a PC or a Mac, I'd ask them what they needed the computer for. If they said gaming and home finance, I'd say get a Windows PC... if they said web design, music production and publishing I'd say get a Mac (I would have said that well before I even got one myself).

The whole HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray is as much political as it is technical, in terms of which might succeed and which might fail.

Technically, the Blu-Ray format is superior in almost every way. It is faster (like for like) stores more data, per layer and has more companies supporting it. Indeed, it certainly has a lot more potential than HD-DVD in the long run. An 8-layer Blu-Ray drive in an MacBook in 2 years time will be able to back up 200GBs of your data on one disc, which could certainly be useful.

In terms of movie content, again Blu-Ray on paper has the edge. It can store more content and if the studios adpot a modern codec (dropping MPEG 2) then you'll get hull 1080p HD movies, extras and 7.1 HD sound on every film on a single disc. No 2 or 3 disc versions of films (like you get on DVD).

Having said that, HD-DVD has two great advantages. It's far cheaper ($300 for a standalone player vs $1,000 for a Blu-Ray player) plus all films on HD-DVD are already using the VC-1 codec which means a better image quality than the MPEG2 on Blu-Ray.

There is trouble ahead though. Current HD-DVD players have no region coding and even worse don't follow AACS guidelines, which may mean HD-DVD players bought now, won't play future films (including the Xbox360 ad-on) in true HD (they will be restricted to an analogue output or may not play at all).

Which is best? As a consumer device, HD-DVD has the edge. It's affordable, the early films look better (although the latest Blu-Ray movies have improved) and it has the letters HD and DVD in it, which consumers will understand more than the enigmatic 'Blu-Ray'. However, Blu-Ray has more support, more studios (all the majors apart from Universal) and more hardware manufactuers behind it. If dual layer discs become economically viable in the next 12 months, it'll be a serious challenger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz Core 2 Duo Imac 1GB ram Superdrive
+1 for HD-DVD

Reaction score
Blu-ray is backed, by 100% more companies than hd-dvd. blu-ray can hold up to 200 gigs, and that will be viable within the next 2 years. they have already put 150 gigs on a blu-ray disk. if i had money to invest it would be in blu-ray. 50gigs, is alot more hq data, than a hd dvd.

OP
imacmatt09
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why? It might be more helpful to give your opinion.

Im gonna guess that the price is lower and it is more avalible the the blu-ray drive but thats just a guess

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well let's assume price is the same and availability was the same (which will be the case in the near future). Why would you choose HD-DVD over Blu-Ray?

Choosing a technology for a short-term reason over long-term viability is not really prudent.

OP
imacmatt09
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If they where the same price i would get both but they arent. What they really need to do is make a combo drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If they where the same price i would get both but they arent. What they really need to do is make a combo drive.

That's not practical. It's like the old DVD vs DIVX debacle. Once of them will die off. The studios will not make movies long-term in both formats and combo players are not a serious alternative.

So again I'll ask you (and anyone else who are HD-DVD pushers), other than price (which is temporary), what technical advantages does HD-DVD have over Blu-Ray that makes it a better technology?

So far to be honest, it seems those in the HD-DVD camp here are only looking at a short-term, non-technical based reason why they prefer that format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
This is like Beta Max vs VHS. People thought Beta Max was far superior than VHS, yet VHS won the war. HD-DVD and Blu Ray both have pros and cons. IMO, i hope the war ends soon because i think its stupid not to have a standard right away. People are going to buy one or the other and when one of them loses whoever bought that equipment is SOL. It also reminds me of the old 56k war. v.34 vs v.92 i believe. I remember AOL sending me a list of numbers for each standard depending on which modem I had. Oh, the dialup days....I sure dont miss those. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz Core 2 Duo Imac 1GB ram Superdrive
I agree that BluRay might have more headroom then HD-DVD, but why is it that every movie released on both formats looks and sounds better on HD-DVD? Seriously, try and find a review of a movie that is shared by both platforms that says the BluRay is higher quality. It hasn't happened. The level of technology that the media consists of has little impact on which format will emerge victorious.

Technicaly BetaMax was more advanced then VHS, the Minidisc more then the CD. We can learn from history. Sony just has a bad habit of putting too much faith into their products selling themselves then actually making and backing a quality product.

Most importantly, I purchased a HD-DVD player for my Xbox360 so it better win dangit! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is like Beta Max vs VHS. People thought Beta Max was far superior than VHS, yet VHS won the war. HD-DVD and Blu Ray both have pros and cons. IMO, i hope the war ends soon because i think its stupid not to have a standard right away. People are going to buy one or the other and when one of them loses whoever bought that equipment is SOL. It also reminds me of the old 56k war. v.34 vs v.92 i believe. I remember AOL sending me a list of numbers for each standard depending on which modem I had. Oh, the dialup days....I sure dont miss those. :)

I don't think those comparisons are valid.

Beta-Max lost the format war because 1stly beta-max tapes could only store one hour of video and secondly Sony refused to license the technology so other manufacturers could not make Beta-max video players. Also, the quality of beta-max was not THAT much better than VHS. With Blu-Ray, none of these mistakes are being made.

As for the v.92, I think you're referring to the 56k K56FLEX vs US Robotics X2 . Again, these two were actually both replaced by v.92 mainly because of pressure from Microsoft and telecons I believe.

Ultimately, the Studios will decide the outcome of this war, and if in 1977, Sony had owned Columbia, MGM and Sony Pictures (along with the hundreds of indie music labels and film studios), VHS would never have seen the light of day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.