Problems transfering photos

Reaction score
In the last 3 months I have been having problems transfering photos from my Nikon Coolpix E7900 to my imac G5 Powerpc. I thought it may be the camera or the cable. I have since updated the camera software on the camera and on my imac. No success.

I tried transfering from my camera to my work PC and had no problems. I now know it is due to the imac. yesterday a friend said he has problems with his canon camera and his imac.

The problem is that the transfer starts and then blocks. It can block after 3 photos or 30 but usually the first attempt blocks later than further attemps.

Please help

M

MacHeadCase

Which software does the transfer? I use Image Capture as Canon's software was sometimes wonky for downloads.

Also it would be a good idea to use a media card reader instead to do the downloads. Lots safer and stable, you don't rely on the camera's battery level during the file swapping from camera to computer.

One thing to avoid when using a media card reader: deleting the photos using a computer. Each computer deletion puts on your media cards invisible computer jargon that can eventually ruin your media cards and/or mix up your camera's OS real solid. I can't remember the reason behind this but I caught this in a Fred Miranda forum thread, one of the best photography forums out there.

To empty your media cards after you're done with the photos and they've been backed up, just pop the card back in your camera and let your camera delete the images, that way you will ensure your media cards live a long and fruitful life. :girl:

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks, but I tried to transfer my photos using a USB stick yesterday and the transfer also got stuck.

I think there must be a bug somewhere but have no idea how to check or fix the problem.

I have tried both the keyboard and computer USB slots and both have the same problem.

M

MacHeadCase

For sure, the USB port on the keyboard doesn't have enough juice to transfer photos so if I were you I would only use a USB port from the back of the Mac.

Try using Image Capture and see what gives. Maybe it's the app that you use that quits. Try eliminating software first from the equation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.