G4 "connected" but not connected

Reaction score
I have an almost new Powerbook G4. It had been connecting fine on both wireless LAN and dialup.

I was surfing fine on my wireless LAN connection. Until I re-started the PC.
After re-starting, I was no longer connected. So say my browsers and FTP client. But going into the System Prefs, Network, it tells me I AM connected, and Connect is greyed-out.

I tried several times, re-started again to no avail.

Later I tried it on dial-up to see if that worked any better. (It was already configured and had last worked fine on dialup.)
Of several attempts, I was able to get a connection ONCE.

But the other times I could not connect; just got an error message. Several times I alternated, that is, I failed to connect on the Apple, switched the phone cord to my HP, got right on, switched the cord to the Apple, could not get on, Switched back to the HP and got right on again. So it's not the ISP.

Yet, like I said, it's not consistent: I was able to connect one time.

Reaction score
I would give your ISP's tech dept a call and ask them to help you out with this weird problem. This is what I do when I forget how to get my FTP working, or need help configuring Mail or such like issues...

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks, Marty.

Perhaps I should iterate with greater clarity:
The problems only occur with my Apple. With my HP laptop, I don't have any problems at all getting online with LAN or dialup. Using the same settings as on the Apple.
My ISP guys don't know more about Apple than I do. It's a small, independent ISP.

Reaction score
LouH
Hi, my name is Adam Cohen and I am having a similar problem. I actually have a client with one pc and one mac. The mac was working fine for 4 days and then nothing. I got the pc to work, but the mac can not get an ip address. I am not using wireless however I am using the built in ethernet. When I spoke to apple support they told me it was the router, but it can not be. So I called linksys and they said to use a static ip on the mac. Also, they told me on wirless with wep to put a $ sign in from of the key on the mac. Hopefully this helps out.
Adam Cohen

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks, Adam.

I fired up the mac yesterday for the first time in a long time, and was amazed that I had no problem getting online via LAN.

I have always had static IP.

When you say put a $ sign in front of the key, which key is that? I have IP, subnet mask, DNS, etc.
Does one put it in front of the IP numbers?

Reaction score
$ for wireless

The $ goes infront of the network key when you are using wireless. So when you go to the apple wireless in the upper right hand corner and click and then click on your ssid. What should come up if you are wep or etc...is a network key or password to logon. It is there that you use the $ then the password.
Hope this helps out.
Adam

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks, but, I can find no apple wireless in the upper right hand corner. There are various icons for Airport, Bluetooth, etc. but I can't find anything like what you are describing.
I don't think I ever encountered anything about ssid or wep.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Thanks, but, I can find no apple wireless in the upper right hand corner. There are various icons for Airport, Bluetooth, etc.

Airport is Apple's wireless!

Reaction score
wireless

Let me ask you this. On the G4 are you using a wireless nic or is it built in. I was under the impression that the wireless is built in by apple.
Please let me know.
Adam

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.