• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Gift for my girlfriend

T

teknikz613

Alright im the proud new owner of the high end config Macbook and as a recent windows convert I absolutely LOVE my Macbook and Mac OSX. I want to share this newfound joy with my girlfriend. However were both students and hence my budget is limited and I dont want her to feel she has to spend 1000$+ on me. So im looking for a budget mac system 500-700 CAD\USD Please specify which currency your referring too.

Now my question , whats the best system config to get her. Shes non technical she just browses the web and listens to music stores pictures etc. preferbly be a laptop however its not absolutely neccesary , I want it too be fast enough for her to handle avg day to day tasks

She has a 1.8celeron right now 512 dvdrw all that jazz and that suits her fine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Being Devil's Advocate:

Just because you enjoy your Mac so much, there is no garauntee that she will feel the same as you do.

Plus, if she already has a computer and her needs don't seem to warrant a new system.
She has a 1.8celeron right now 512 dvdrw all that jazz and that suits her fine
Also, even $500 is a huge sum of money if you are on a limited budget.

If you really want to introduce her to Apple, and want to spend a little more than usual, an iPod would be a great gift.

:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
If you really want to introduce her to Apple, and want to spend a little more than usual, an iPod would be a great gift.

:black:

The iPod never fails to be a great gift, get it personalized for her, she'll love it.

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
Then if you get her an iPod you can let her use your Mac to manage the songs. If she then like it maybe you can get her a Mac for next xmas or her birthday??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Some unsolicited advice from someone who's been around the block a few times:

Unless she's a technophile, always stay away from gifts of gadgetry.

I've heard many, many stories of girlfriends (and ex-girlfriends) of techno-guys who were disappointed on birthdays and holidays when they opened a gift that could be bought at Fry's or Best Buy.

My advice: jewelry. You could do really well for the price of an iPod, and trust me-- you'll earn a lot of points. You don't have to go to Zales or Swarovsky; there's nice, reasonably priced, perfectly beautiful stuff at department stores like Macy's. Find out what her tastes are and buy her a gift that matches what she likes.

If you want to introduce her to the Mac, let her use your awesome MacBook.

(Edit: I just read this to my fiancee, a self-professed techno-geek-chick-- and the one who introduced me to Macs-- and her response was a resounding "YES!")

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Some unsolicited advice from someone who's been around the block a few times:

Unless she's a technophile, always stay away from gifts of gadgetry.

I've heard many, many stories of girlfriends (and ex-girlfriends) of techno-guys who were disappointed on birthdays and holidays when they opened a gift that could be bought at Fry's or Best Buy.

My advice: jewelry. You could do really well for the price of an iPod, and trust me-- you'll earn a lot of points. You don't have to go to Zales or Swarovsky; there's nice, reasonably priced, perfectly beautiful stuff at department stores like Macy's. Find out what her tastes are and buy her a gift that matches what she likes.

If you want to introduce her to the Mac, let her use your awesome MacBook.

(Edit: I just read this to my fiancee, a self-professed techno-geek-chick-- and the one who introduced me to Macs-- and her response was a resounding "YES!")

I wouldn't mind receiving a gift from fry's or best buy :)

My boyfriend and I are opposites. I'm a computer person, he is not:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC

So you're a girl who's a geek AND loves VW.. Lucky guy ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"

So then you should buy *him* a really cool watch or something. :)

The point is that non-techie people won't fully appreciate techie gifts, especially if they already have something (in the case of teknik's gf) that suits their needs. Plus, it's always better to go for the more personal gift.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I got my girlfriend an iPod Nano with her name engraved on the back, wrapped in Apple's Christmas packaging (nice!). I then carefully opened it when it got here and loaded about 1.5Gb of her favorite music onto it. Then I carefully repackaged it...after playing with it for a while.

Check the refurb store if you're a cheapass like me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.