Completely fed up with Apple Mighty Mouse

Reaction score
A complete and utter joke.

It was getting to the point where I was having to clean it once, and someones twice a day to make the scroll work.

Now scrolling down just does not work whatsoever.

Absolute rubbish.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2 GB Ram,Mac Pro Dual 2.66,10 GB Ram Feeding into a 30" LCD
I agree

Ever since I made the switch I never use the Apple keyboards and mice. The problem with the keyboard is that I don't want carpal tunnel syndrome. No wrist support really come on. The Mouse on the other hand I never got used to single click mouse. I will stick to my standard pc mouse it works fine for me.

Dan

Reaction score
I bought a wireless mighty mouse with my MBP 17", and just figured that I would get used to the feel.

I now have a wired Mighty Mouse with my 15.4" MBP, and I guess that I'll never really get accustomed to the feel of this mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Ive never liked Apple mice, I always hated single click. Now the mighty mouse is way too small to fit my hands and I dont really like the scroll ball, its too tiny.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 ghz 1.25 RAM 60 GB
I bought an ANYCOM bluetooth mouce from Amazon for $40 shipped. It's normally a $100 some mouse. It definitely won't help with the small size, if you have a problem with that. But I don't mind the size, and it's freaking awesome. The Apple mice takes forever for the bluetooth to hook up, but this mouse makes a connection in approximately 4 seconds. I'm sure a lot of the other Logitech and Microsoft mice do well also - the tech at the Mac store said that his Logitech mouse does the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPH: 3.5Ghz i7 | MPS: 2.66Ghz Xeon | iPhone 4S | iPad 2 | MacBook 13"
The mighty mouse does take a bit to get used to, especially moving from Windows. I'm a 10 year vet of Windows and windows mice and I think Apple did a good job on the mice. I love the fact that you can make the mighty mice dual click, so you have a right and left click. It is a bit hard to get used to where to click to get either, but I've found after using for a little while that a light touch goes a long way.

As far as the scroll wheel. I have noticed it getting locked up on me from time to time and I think it's the little sensor that it hits or something like that, I've found that it won't scroll sometimes and it seems like it's getting stuck and if I roll it back and forth really fast it feels like it releases and works just fine. I've never had a problem with it getting dirty, might be a defected mouse, I'd contact Apple and see if it's still under warranty and see if they'd exchange it for you.

My main problem with getting used to the mighty mouse was the clicks on the sides of the mouse, I was so used to clicking hard with my Windows mouse that when I started using the Mighty Mouse I would click the side buttons at the same time and open up what I've got configured to open when those are hit. I've now learned how to have a little finesse with it and it's working great now. Took me a few weeks to get used to the switch but I think the mouse is much more powerful than my old Logitech mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook - 15" (last ppc), iMac 20" w/ intel, iPod 5G
The mighty mouse is complete crap. My father has one and he has to clean it every day too. I'm getting him a new mouse as part of his Xmas present, and it will NOT be an Apple mouse!

Reaction score
I didn't have issues with cleaning mine, but I stopped using it a month or so ago because it just hurt my hand. I don't really like ambidextrous mice. Currently I am using a Logitech MX400 laser, for the money it is a great mouse.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I really have had good luck with the Mighty Mouse overall, but like Mynameis really love Logitech mice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mac Mini with LG Flatron 20" widescreen LCD
I have the wireless mighty mouse and never have to clean it, and i use it every day. The thing works perfect and i love it.

G

Guardian

I have a wired Mighty Mouse and have had no problems. I think it works great once you get used to the way the right button works:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I got the wireless with my MBP and haven't noticed any problems. So far it has connected fairly quickly except one time. I wasn't sure if I would like it, but I've gotten used to it and I like that it's low-profile so it doesn't bulge out of my bag.

I thought you were supposed to be able to click on one side or the other alone and use as forward and back buttons in Safari for example, but I've found I can't hit one side without squeezing the other. Are you supposed to be able to hit each as a button alone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", Intel Core Duo
My might mouse started acting up like that as well. For a long time, the down scroll wouldn't work. Now it does. I just scrolled downwards like crazy for a couple of minutes, and it started working again. Worked ever since. But I agree, they can be crappy, and from what I've read on the internet, the scroll wheel thing is not unusual.

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of Logitech... (I'm a dual booter)

Using any Cad programs or anything with productivity in mind.. a single mouse just doesn't cut it. I bought the might mouse (no tail)- it worked "okay" but I hated the scroll and the button where you press both sides in... I gave it away < a month later.

Now I'm sitting on an MX Revolution @ my P4 workstation and a VX Revolution on my laptop. I'm very please with the contour design, ease of use, and battery life of both models. I like the MX better though; it often sneaks with me on my laptop...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
I'm a huge fan of Logitech... (I'm a dual booter)

Using any Cad programs or anything with productivity in mind.. a single mouse just doesn't cut it. I bought the might mouse (no tail)- it worked "okay" but I hated the scroll and the button where you press both sides in... I gave it away < a month later.

Now I'm sitting on an MX Revolution @ my P4 workstation and a VX Revolution on my laptop. I'm very please with the contour design, ease of use, and battery life of both models. I like the MX better though; it often sneaks with me on my laptop...

Does it all work on Mac?

Ad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I use to use the mighty mouse and found it to be quite a good mouse, but I no longer use it because I use a tablet, and found that if you hold shift down you can scroll horizontally which is why I loved the mighty mouse so much.

Reaction score
Does it all work on Mac?

Ad

Yeah... however, the driver (osx) doesn't come with either mouse, it's got to be downloaded...

Personally, I wasn't pleased with the lack of customization for the Logitech drivers, so I ended up buying "SteerMouse" and have been quite pleased since. (For OsX)

On XP though, I've been forced to stick with the Logitech driver for one primary reason... the "middle" mouse button. Technically, these mice don't have a middle mouse button... in place of a "middle" mouse button is a button to turn on and off "hyperscroll" ... For some god-awful reason, the middle button can't be programmed elsewhere; Logitech offers a workable solution to get it back but you loose the hyperscroll.

Now that I'm on the subject... is there somekind of keyboard click combination that may be the equilivent of a middle mouse button?

All in all, I'm very pleased with the mouse itself... if they were to fail, I'd definitely buy either of them again.

I don't frequent this forum too often, so if you have any specific questions, send a private message.

T

timarnold

I have just got a wireless mighty mouse (shipped with a new MAc Pro) and it is so slow on tracking compared to the standard plug in usb apple mouse. Does anyone know if this can be resolved or...are wireless might mice just rubbish?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPH: 3.5Ghz i7 | MPS: 2.66Ghz Xeon | iPhone 4S | iPad 2 | MacBook 13"
You change the speed in the mouse settings in the system preferences.

Reaction score
I find that with the settings at max, the mouse still moves way too slow.. are there any programs that can fix this.. possibly speed up the whole mouse and not have the gay accel/decel on? there are other problems with this mouse.. like having to lay my hand completely flat for it to work.. but thats beside the point.. I could live with it if I could get the **** thing to track faster

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.