ichat connection to mini dv camcorder via router (speedtouch 500 series)

S

Siv

I can connect my Panasonic Mini DV to imovies but it wont recognise it in ichat??

Hi I have very recently bought an imac G3 600mhz (previously pc only) for the purposes of communicating via ichat with my Brother in NZ (imac G5) and my Parents elsewhere in the UK (imac G3 600mhz). They both have an isight camera which I am aiming to buy one day. However, in the meantime I'd like to use my trusty old Panasonic NV-DS11 Mini DV.

imovie picks this up perfectly using the firewire connection but ichat doesnt think there is a camera connected.

Is the problem with the type of Mini DV or is it because I have read ichat doesnt like operating over a speedtouch 500 series router. I've read mixed reports about users having success straight away or having to open extra ports YIKES I hope it's not that!

Please can someone help me, thanks Allison

OP
S

Siv

Hi I have very recently bought an imac G3 600mhz (previously pc only) for the purposes of communicating via ichat with my Brother in NZ (imac G5) and my Parents elsewhere in the UK (imac G3 600mhz). They both have an isight camera which I am aiming to buy one day. However, in the meantime I'd like to use my trusty old Panasonic NV-DS11 Mini DV.

imovie picks this up perfectly using the firewire connection but ichat doesnt think there is a camera connected.

Is the problem with the type of Mini DV or is it because I have read ichat doesnt like operating over a speedtouch 500 series router. I've read mixed reports about users having success straight away or having to open extra ports YIKES I hope it's not that!

Please can someone help me, thanks Allison
Posted also in video

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Well I assume your problem is a Software one rather than a Technical Broadband/Internet problem.

Unfrounatly after searching myself I have found your problem and it can't be fixed from Apple's point of view without an Upgrade. The problem is the fact that you are using a G3 Processor which isn't compatible with iChat software.

Sorry to be the bearer of Bad news....
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93206
Maybe an alternative program maybe be able to offer you video chat.

OP
S

Siv

Oh! That wasnt the news I was expecting you're right. Thanks anyway. I am running OS10 tiger so guessed I would be ok.

OP
S

Siv

Actually that does sound quite definative "This document applies to Mac OS X 10.2 through 10.2.8. " but my OS is version 10.3.2. But it does actually say G3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
You are right sorry...
Here's one that actually relates.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301050

Although this one says it is compatible, however DV Camera's are only compatible if you have a G4 or G5 Processor. So looks like the news is still the same sorry.

OP
T

twotone

I guess what you are saying is that you want to use you Pani mini dv as a web cam, correct? I have a JVC mini dv that I use all the time to iChat with people. It took me a while to figure out how to use it though.
I have to take out the tape, make sure that any demo modes are turned off, wire it up and you should be in business. I plug my FW in, open iChat, toggle the camera button and there it is! No problem for me.

OP
S

Siv

Hm I think it's the old G3 thats going to give me problems. Looks like I'll have to get the isight after all then all will be ok.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.