• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Got a pet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Ok, so I get a new pet yesterday. I adopted a 7 month old kitten named Gravy. I've never had a cat before, I've always been kind of a dog person but this kitten was so cute and it really is personable. Of course, I don't really know how to take care of a cat completely yet, but he is already using the litterbox so I guess that's the most important part haha. However he did drive me nuts last night jumping over everything and meowing wherever he went. I think he's just getting used to things because the meowing is driving me nuts ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
cool stuff, you should post some pics if you can.. i was gonna get a pet, but i can barely take care of myself at times. does that mean im inhumane to me? or just lazy?

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I'll have to pull out my digital camera tonight after work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
your most assuridly inhumane to yourself :D

ive gota cat back home, it hates me :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Get a scratching post and hope you can get the kitten to use it, instead of your furniture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Cats are awesome. Definately get a scratching post. And definately spend money on good food, so you won't have health problems later down the line. We feed our cats Science Diet Oral Care. It keeps their teeth clean and their breath smelling better than it would normally :). Also you will find that not all kitty litter is the same. We use the Arm and Hammer Super Clay which keeps their litter box odor down. Get some small toys that they can rip to shreds, and something to sleep in. You should be all set. We have 2 cats and will be getting a third, so we are kinda into it and have gone through a lot of the headaches of having cats. Also, get some cat weed, they love that stuff. It gets them going for like half an hour, and then they zone out and sleep. Works great when they are being crazy. Also, meowing is a sign that they want attention. But don't always give in, because they will take advantage of you :). Cats are really smart and they are the best pet, in my opinion. Actually we are their pets. They actually own us :) as you will soon see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Originally posted by Emrys@Mar 31 2003, 01:51 PM
Also, get some cat weed, they love that stuff. It gets them going for like half an hour, and then they zone out and sleep. Works great when they are being crazy.
hopefully its not the same thing as human weed :unsure: :D

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, get some cat weed, they love that stuff.
You mean cat-nip. Right. :D

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I'm learning. I think you are right about the meowing meaning he wants attention. I've started to ignore it tonight and he's not doing it as much. But it could also be that he's getting used to things here. We'll see how night 2 goes :) . I have a scratching post which I sprayed with catnip spray so hopefully he'll use it. I also bought this other stuff that you can spray on carpet and furniture that's supposed to stop them from scratching that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How'd the little guy make it through night 2?

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it was a little better. Not as much meowing, or at least I slept through it. He did come in about 3:00 AM last night wanting to play but that didn't last too long so that was good :) . He's still meowing a bit too like when he's just walking around, but hopefully that will get better too haha.

And I'm using Iams for his food. Is there a difference / preference between using dry food and canned food? I just have dry food and was told that should be fine.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's a picture of Gravy...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Beautiful cat!

Stick with the dry and then every once in a while "treat" him to wet stuff. Wet stuff is bad for their teeth. Have you talked to a vet yet? Is he "cut"? What's his name?

Oh yeah... My cats LOVE those rings you get off of gallon milk/water jugs. The best toy in the world. Just throw it on the ground and he will eventually play with it. They charge like $3 for 4 of them in the pet store. So just take the ones off of milk/water containers and you will be all set.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Originally posted by Emrys@Apr 1 2003, 07:54 AM
Beautiful cat!

Stick with the dry and then every once in a while "treat" him to wet stuff. Wet stuff is bad for their teeth. Have you talked to a vet yet? Is he "cut"? What's his name?

Oh yeah... My cats LOVE those rings you get off of gallon milk/water jugs. The best toy in the world. Just throw it on the ground and he will eventually play with it. They charge like $3 for 4 of them in the pet store. So just take the ones off of milk/water containers and you will be all set.
Thanks, his name is Gravy. He's already neutered and had his shots. I'm taking him to the Vet on Thursday just to be checked out. I'll have to try one of those rings :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, saw the pic and missed the caption... Gravy is an interesting name :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now you have get another cat (white) and name him/her potatoes.

:D :D

I know, I know, bad joke. :blink:

I am going to my room now, with my powerbook. :)

G

Giaguara

Careful! Don't let her see what my cat does with my ... err, his, ibook ;)

(outdated link removed)

Uh, I hope my monster (I have 2 but only he likes macs, she doesn't) doesn't now ask her e-meow :rolleyes: :lol:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Thats a cat? it looks huge!

nice lookin either way tho :)

K

Kiwi

I have four cats. Casper (tortiseshell stray), Robbie (black stray), Thomas and Katie (grey tabbie and grey bicolour housecats).

Pictured here is Robbie. Robbie weighs 7 kg, a grumpy stray, who Ive tamed and is a loving sweetheart most of the time.

My best advice regarding cat nip is not to give it to your kitten for about 3 months, if you give it to early they can become immune to the drug. The reason why your kitten is probably meowing a lot at night when you're trying to sleep is probably because he's lonely. If he came from a litter of kittens and his mother he would sleep with all of them for warmth and reassurance, you can copy that by putting a clock with an audible tick under the cat bed so he can hear it. Another thing to do is to put a soft toy in the bed so he can snuggle up to it and you can also put a hot pack of some sort in the cat bed to keep him warm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
wow Giaguara.. those are some big animals. they're panthers right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.