• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

My views on "staying on the cutting edge"...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
[rant]

Is it just me, or does it seem like people freak out when an update comes out for an Apple product?

I know Devilboy shares my disdain for this, but seriously folks, why do you feel the need to cry whenever Apple releases a new update? Your computer still works brilliantly, and if you'd never known that Apple *had* come out with an update, you'd be perfectly happy. What's the deal?

The updates, in my eyes, are welcomed, because this means I can now get the previous rev. for much, much cheaper. Take, for example, the Mac Pro. People are speculating that there will be an update to QuadCore later this year. Well, heck, I'll just buy an old one after that and save ~$1000. It's still fast as crap, it's just not on the bleeding edge of technology, which doesn't bother me.

Does anyone follow/agree with me?

[/rant]

*This was spurred by the recent update to Apple's MacBook line.

Reaction score
Personally, I don't care about "Cutting Edge" tech. I bought a used palm pilot earlier this year,it was a 2003 model. I'm still using ti just fine, no desire to upgrade. In my main computer (Still PC) I just recenbtly upgraded from 1/2GB RAM, and only because I took some from my dadwhen he upgraded. Processor, too, I just went from 2.6 to 3.2 (Single, not duo).

Oh, and I had just read some of the prices for the "old" macbooks:
Gizmodo said:
Just like when the MacBook Pros went Core 2 Duo, the upgrade of Apple's MacBook line means the old leftover laptops get a bit of a discount. For example, the 1.83 GHz model that used to be $1099 is now $899, and the 2.0 GHz black model that used to be $1499 is now $1099. Quite a steep drop thanks to their newborn brothers pushing them out from under their mother's teat.

Almost low enough to make me consider getting one, if I didn't already have a laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
I second that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I agree too.. Take my Wintel gaming rig for example.. It's got a 6800GT 256mb graphics card in it.. It can play the latest games at very good quality without any problem, so why would I want to spend $700 upgrading the graphics card? I just put in a new mobo/ram a few months ago that were better than the previous hardware, but it does the job.

I'm all about legacy gear-slutting.. Look at the Macs in my sig.. Nothing new about them, and my PowerBook wasn't cheap when I bought it either, but it does what I need to do..

however, my Macs are starting to show their age, and I've become more productive, so the slower speeds are starting to become bothersome, but hey, if I buy a Macbook Pro in say, 6 months, I'll get it for cheap and won't need a new laptop for years to come.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I feel the same way. I have a First Gen MacBook Pro and I am perfectly happy with it. It works absolutely great and I am not upset or freaked out that there are now updated models. As surfwax mentioned, they are indeed welcomed but my world is not ending because of the fact there are now Core 2 Duo versions nor do I have the "wow, if I had only waited" mentality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I know Devilboy shares my disdain for this, but seriously folks, why do you feel the need to cry whenever Apple releases a new update? Your computer still works brilliantly, and if you'd never known that Apple *had* come out with an update, you'd be perfectly happy. What's the deal?
*This was spurred by the recent update to Apple's MacBook line.

I completely agree. I've got a first revision macbook and I don't feel in the slightest bit 'cheated' by the upgrades. Upgrades happen - people just need to learn to accept that. I'm sure the same people who complain when their 2 month old machine isn't 'cutting edge' are the same people who gloat when their brand new machine has the latest updates in it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Not to sound like an endless loop here, but you guys are all on the right track.

I've been around IT enough to know two things (a) there will always be an upgraded {whatever} just around the corner; and (b) you should always use the best tool for the job.

I bought an iBook in early '05 and loved it-- I centralized my computing life on it with the exception of the stuff I had to do on Windows. When the MacBook came out and I saw that I could use Parallels to do what I needed to do, that machine became my new "home" and it does exactly what I want it to do, plus I have one less PC to worry about (and my kids got an iBook out of the deal :).

I was listening to MacOSKen this morning on my walk to the office, and he was talking about the new MacBooks and his message to current MacBook owners, said tongue-in-cheek, was "sucks to be you." I wonder how many people took that seriously, though.

Also, people like Leo LaPorte are always raving about whatever new thing they get because they have jobs where they can get the latest and greatest whatever, usually for free. As a result there are a lot of people who feel left behind in the dust, even though they don't have jobs like Leo or his crowd.

I'm happy as a {fill in your favorite metaphor} with my MacBook and I am not bothered in the least by the new models. I say, if the new 'books convert more people from Windows, it's all the better for the rest of us!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I agree with your rant, but tt's always a body blow when you buy a product and literally a month later you get more for less. I paid nearly $1800 (including tax) for my MacBook black because I went for the 100gig drive a 1gig of RAM. If I'd waited a mere 4 weeks, I'd have got that for about $150 less, plus a Core 2 Duo. Or I could have saved $500 getting the same model. That's a lot of money for 4 weeks wait!

You have to be Buddhist about it and just accept things. I know I have a very good machine that will run virtually anything for about 3 years or so, by which time I'll buy a new one anyway.

I am delighted Apple is keeping up to date, because it'll tempt more customers, which means a bigger community which means more stuff for OS X. Now is the time for Apple to really grow, whilst MS is slightly vulnerable between Windows Versions.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed 1000%! :spook:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I got my PowerBook in favor of and in spite of the rumors of MacBook Pros being released. :black:

OP
surfwax95
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I got my PowerBook in favor of and in spite of the rumors of MacBook Pros being released. :black:

LOL! Me too.

I remember seeing all of the new MBP owners crying about heat while I'm happily Photoshopping away on my lap, with my LAPTOP.

:headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I agree.

Well, I bought my iMac G5 not knowing that they were planning to release an iMac Core Duo a month later. I was pretty sad about the decision for a while but when I started Photoshoping all sad feelings disappeared. Now I have no regrets.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I bought my 12" ibook knowing there would be Intel Mac Notebooks. I like the iBook and it's fine for what I use a notebook for.

Reaction score
i just bought a 12" ibook g3, mostly b/c i'm a cheapskate and apple wouldn't approve me for credit, and i'm perfectly happy. would i like a g4 or g5 or whatever? sure. does a 600mhz g3 have some drawbacks today? sure. do i relly care? nope. i love my little laptop, and i got it for cheap. it does everything i need it to do and more.

a 12" g4 tibook would be killer though.

Reaction score
I rarely upgrade over for a small clock speed bump or a slightly better CPU/GPU, because more than likely, I wouldn't be able to tell a difference short of doing benchmarks.

A

aristo3650

Well compared to all of you here, I know that I like having the lastest and greatest. its just nice. I spend the money, waste the money, but at the end of the day im much more happy to have had the latest than I would if i didnt. I know there are many people who are like this, to each their own.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.