• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Any Responses Appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

new2mac162

I'm new2macs obviously and after searching the forums and threads on this site I decided to join, the responses seem very good.

Q1: I want to (legally...) dL music but am not convinced on the program to use. I understand about macs and no viruses but still not sure.
Frostwire
Limewire
Acqlite

Q2: With a program like one of these do I need to turn on the Mac's Firewall and why don't they come on when you buy the mac??

Thanks for any help
:confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
I don't know what you are planning on downloading, but pretty much the only legal way to download music is to pay for it or download live sets. There really isn't a wrong way to go as far as downloading on a Mac. Most files you get will be clean, and even those that do have a virus/spyware, it will be formatted for PC's. No worries. The only thing I would ever be leery of is a pirated piece of Apple software or anything Mac-specific. Other than that, get whatevers you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'08 Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, Mercury SSD, 3x WD HDDs, Radeon 5770
Limewire is the same on the mac as it is on windows; if you liked it for windows you will like it for the mac. I've never used the other two you mentioned but I can recommend an app called Poisoned. It is a mac only freeware app that searches many databases simultaneously (Ares and gnutella for example) and has a nice UI. For the firewall thing I can't answer either of your questions, but I'm sure someone else will get them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
a1: in order to legally download music from those apps (except i have no clue what frostwire is) you need to already own the music you are downloading. if that is teh case you will get better results ripping your entire collection to your HD. best legal way to get music is the iTMS

a2: yes, and i dont know why the firewall is turned off. my powermacs firewall was turned on when i got it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I'm new2macs obviously and after searching the forums and threads on this site I decided to join, the responses seem very good.

Q1: I want to (legally...) dL music but am not convinced on the program to use. I understand about macs and no viruses but still not sure.
Frostwire
Limewire
Acqlite

Downloading music through p2p networks in almost all cases is illegal (very few artists allow their copywritten material to be distributed through p2p networks)

the iTunes Music Store is a perfectly legal way to download music

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
a1: in order to legally download music from those apps (except i have no clue what frostwire is) you need to already own the music you are downloading.

Not true. When you purchase a CD you purchase the license for the CD and the right to convert the music into a format you wish to use (mp3, tape) and combine it for your own mixes (for personal use only). You do not have the right to download music from p2p networks even if you already have the CD. Many people have tried to use the excuse that they preordered an album as a right to download it when it gets on the internet, but legally you do not have the right. If you own a CD and it breaks, you do not have the right to download the music because you already purchased it. You must repurchase the album (or get a new one from the place you purchased it if they are good about exchanges) and rip it if you want the mp3s

OP
N

new2mac162

sorry, bad humor on my part. I meant illegally.....I wasn't sure if that word was banned here or not. Nobody's heard of Frostwire??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.