Using someone elses wireless??

MJC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15.4", 2Ghz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD
Hello,

Just wondering, i accidently connected to an open wireless internet connection and realised and turned it off...\

What can happen by doing this? if i were to connect and use this connection could i get in trouble?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Technically, yes. Untechnically, unlikely. While it is illegal to use a computer network without authorisation, you're not going to get into trouble just for connecting to it. The problems occur when you do something illegal with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
You should avoid this at all costs, unless it's a Public (Open isn't the Same as Public) Network then do not connect.

Accessing a Network or Computer without the prior permission of the Owner is against the Law even if DO NOT change anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro... 2.33GHz C2D, 2 gb ram. 120gb hd. 250gb external firewire HD
Plus, it isn't ethical... I DL'd a bunch of stuff from an "OPEN" network while I was on vacation. It bogs down the on their network and stuff like that. If you feel like being "bad" go for it! But it is always good to play nicely with others... Or their networks...

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Technically, yes. Untechnically, unlikely. While it is illegal to use a computer network without authorisation, you're not going to get into trouble just for connecting to it. The problems occur when you do something illegal with it.

agree.
what you did is almost a non-issue. plus if it was non-secure, they probably have no idea how to even figure out (or care to know) if you were piggybacking for a bit.

just don't get cocky and go wardriving anywhere with a high geek or spook population.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.