Photoshop Alternative

Reaction score
As a graphic design major, I am going to need some image editing software on my new Apple. I used Photoshop back at home. Is this still the best choice or is there something better available to Macs?

Thanks
john~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Nope, Photoshop is still the industry standard / best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
photoshop is still industry standard. GIMP is free, but takes a bit of fiddling to get it working on OS X. It's pretty similar, but probably more of a stepping stone up to photoshop. I've seen some pretty nice stuff done in GIMP though (and I know my photoshop stuff), so it's definitely worth looking into.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
as for gimp

i use it

all you have to do is install X11

this is on the osx dvd

thats for intel imacs anyhow using tiger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
One other program to consider is GraphicConverter, which Apple provides as part of the included bundle in each PowerMac G5 (presumably on the Mac Pros too). This is a surprisingly capable program. Well worth checking out and spending some time with.

However, the real royalty in this area is Photoshop, then Photoshop Elements and then GIMP, in that order.

Note that GIMP does not understand Color Management at all. Photoshop has full Color Management support and Photoshop Elements is somewhere in between, with partial support for color spaces. This continues to make Photoshop itself the king for real graphic professionsals.

OP
W
Reaction score
Wow, so Photoshop still reigns. That's good news because I have access to it at the student store. Do I need to look for the Mac version, or should it be compatible with Windows/Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
There is a separate version and it is still the gold standard of photo editing programs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.