emac no longer functional - pls help!

Reaction score
My 1st generation eMac recently became way too slow to use properly. To rectify the situation i decided to buy 512mb of RAM to replace the pitiful 128MB from the manufacturer. I also purchased a 250GB firewire hard drive and Mac OS X tiger.

Installed the RAM - all registered fine. Copied data to the new hard drive and then went about upgrading from 10.2 to 10.4. This is where the issues started.

The installer validated the disk as being fine and then went about upgrading. But just after the point of intalling the BSD files it told me that it wouldn't be able to continue - please restart. So I restarted. I went through the same thing at least ten times - the software always stopping after a certain point (but not the same point each time).

I read the Apple support pages and began to suspect that maybe the RAM (not official Apple Ram) was causing the problem. So I removed it and put the 128MB back in. But I couldnt install 10.4 with 128mb as this is 50% less than the required 256! So now i have a machine with a partially installed but not functional OS with seemingly no solution to use the machine. I cant seem to use the old 10.2 disks - the machine spits them out because i have 10.4 installed as far as it is concerned. Evidently you cant 'downgrade'.

So, what do i do? Any advice greatfully received!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.