Need Anit Virus If I'm running XP via Parallels?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66
I've read the threads on anti virus sentiments in general - but will my machine be more vulneralbe if I'm running XP through Parallels?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yes and no. OS X is not more vulnerable, but your Windows partition is.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66
so just install a windows antivirus there? easy enough. thanks.

If it did get a virus how would that work? If I just reinstalled parallels would it wipe things clean?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
When you install Windows using Parallels it creats a virtual drive. Parallels will emulate windows and all functionality related to Windows restricts to itself. As Schweb rightly pointed out, a virus in your virtual drive wont harm the host system. If it's infected with a virus all you have to do is to remove the image file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac
I agree - it's just like running a virual machine under Windows itself - if the virtual machine gets infected, just get rid of it. For that reason I don't use A/V when running Windows on a virtual machine. The way I work is to set up a virtual machine the way I like it with all the apps I need, then clone it. From then on I only ever use the cloned machine. If anything happens I make a new one.

Cheers,

Jack.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.