• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Phone tapping for reality show.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Hey, I am working on a reality show for a school club. Sometimes the person we are following calls home, his girlfriend, etc. Is there any way we can get the audio from the phone call in a simple way.. or any kind of phone tapping device that maybe has xlr out?

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also if possible if anybody knows how to do this with a cell phone.

Reaction score
PowerBookG4 said:
also if possible if anybody knows how to do this with a cell phone.

Do you mean during the reality show you want to broadcast the audio from the other party during a phonecall in realtime?

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no while somebody is on the phone, i would like to get the person on the other end... some kind of device that can take some how get the same signal from the cell phone, and record the conversation onto a tape, or bring the audio to the camera.. that is.. if they exist.

Reaction score
PowerBookG4 said:
no while somebody is on the phone, i would like to get the person on the other end... some kind of device that can take some how get the same signal from the cell phone, and record the conversation onto a tape, or bring the audio to the camera.. that is.. if they exist.

So the person making the call is in on the deal, or not, 'cos it makes a difference...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The make mikes that you can attach to the phone that will pick up the received audio.

Just so you know, in the US the person on the other end of the phone must know they are being recorded and verbally offered an option to not be recorded and decline, otherwise you are breaking the law.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
baggss said:
Just so you know, in the US the person on the other end of the phone must know they are being recorded and verbally offered an option to not be recorded and decline, otherwise you are breaking the law.

I know, the person on the other end knows they are being recorded, and all the legal stuff has worked out. the producer did not get the audio on the other end of the phone so all that footage is un usable.. I am not breaking any laws already looked into all of that and what i need to do, I just can not find any devices that can do it.

Reaction score
PowerBookG4 said:
I know, the person on the other end knows they are being recorded, and all the legal stuff has worked out. the producer did not get the audio on the other end of the phone so all that footage is un usable.. I am not breaking any laws already looked into all of that and what i need to do, I just can not find any devices that can do it.

Found this. A bit pricey, though.

~

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pulse-8 said:
Found this. A bit pricey, though.

~

Awesome thanks.. you never seize to amazing me..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i remember back in the day you could pick up cell phones with a cb/police scanner i dont know if that still works nowadays though
-chris

ps. keep in mind the legality of doing such a thing
-chris again

Reaction score
Federal law allows recording of phone calls and other electronic communications with the consent of at least one party to the call. A majority of the states and territories have adopted wiretapping statutes based on the federal law, although most also have extended the law to cover in-person conversations. Thirty-eight states and the District of Columbia permit individuals to record conversations to which they are a party without informing the other parties that they are doing so. These laws are referred to as "one-party consent" statutes, and as long as you are a party to the conversation, it is legal for you to record it. (Nevada also has a one-party consent statute, but the state Supreme Court has interpreted it as an all-party rule.)

Twelve states require, under most circumstances, the consent of all parties to a conversation. Those jurisdictions are California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington. Be aware that you will sometimes hear these referred to inaccurately as "two-party consent" laws. If there are more than two people involved in the conversation, all must consent to the taping.

Regardless of the state, it is almost always illegal to record a conversation to which you are not a party, do not have consent to tape, and could not naturally overhear.

Federal law and most state laws also make it illegal to disclose the contents of an illegally intercepted call or communication.

Originally posted by PowerBookG4
I know, the person on the other end knows they are being recorded, and all the legal stuff has worked out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook
Is it a newer cell phone?? I know most newer ones has an option built right in to record the calls.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.