• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New York Yankees

S

sursuciofla

As another season closes for the Yanks speculation blows in New York City the wind. Here are some questions:

Will Joe Torre be fired? Is going to the playoffs every year in tenure and winning the Series 4 times not good enough?

Who will replace him? Pinella, Girardi??

Jason Giambi overcame the roids (we think he is off) regaining his power stroke, but will the Yankees cut ties?

Is Mike Mussina done in pinstripes?

What about Gary Sheffield and Big Unit?

And the big question where will A-Rod go? Do you expect him to be a Yankee? Do you think his pretty boy ego can take another year of criticism from the fans and his peers?

I think Torre is a product of just having great talent at his disposal. And I am not taking anything away from Torre because he is a great manager. But I don't think it is his fault. He can't go hit balls and he doesn't take the mound or play defense. He can't stop A-Rod from making errors. I bet if Torre wanted to bench A-Rod he would get so much heat from The Boss. Look Bernie Williams...he had to take a backseat once Sheffield, Matsui, and Damon came along. I remember when the Yanks were winning and every time I would see Bernie come to the plate I knew it would be a hit. I know he is old but sometimes all it takes is heart to infect an entire team. Steinbrenner thinks he can just buy a title but it takes more chemistry than money and stars to make a champion.

For the Yankees to be the world beaters again they need to go back to the basics. Bring up the homegrowns and leave the Unit's and Chefs in the retirement home.

I am in no way a Yankees fan. I am a Braves(current home) and Devil Rays fan(birth home). I would love NY to send A-Rod to the Braves, you guys can have Chipper b/c I am sick of him and have been for years.

*A-Rod was taken to Joe Torre for yanking Wang, but I think he should have yanked the Big Unit way earlier.*

I will add more as the news comes out in the next few months but I would love to hear from actual Yankees fans as well as baseball fans in general. The Empire has fallen again, another year of Rebel dominance. Take that Palpatine..cough...cough...I mean George.

OP
S

sursuciofla

I understand.... :( :eek:neye:

The Yankees fans are in hiding...I will give you guys time to heal from your wounds. I know how it feels when your team gets to the playoffs year after year only to not perform in the postseason.

I found it refreshing to see a team like Detroit celebrate like they did with their fans...that's the beauty of baseball. Unlike Atlanta who doesn't get excited about anything when it comes to baseball. Can't even show up for playoff games and then complain that they didn't make it out of the first round. Then want to headhunt guys like Bobby Cox who is one of the greatest skippers ever.

BLNY

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
jimmy17rm8.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
sursuciofla said:
As another season closes for the Yanks speculation blows in New York City the wind. Here are some questions:

Will Joe Torre be fired? Is going to the playoffs every year in tenure and winning the Series 4 times not good enough?

I am sure that everybody is trying to convince Steinbrenner not to fire Joe, but The Boss is a very anxious person and wants the World Series so I am not sure how much everybodies persuasion can help. If they do can him I think that Girardi would be the much wiser choice as a manager since he manages in the same style as Joe and can handle the new york media of the 21st century. Lou is a firey manager but I don't know how much that will work on a team filled with veterans who have become used to listening to Joe and Jeter.

sursuciofla said:
Jason Giambi overcame the roids (we think he is off) regaining his power stroke, but will the Yankees cut ties?

I don't think the Yankees will cut ties with Jason. Despite the whole steroids controversy he is highly regarded in the clubhouse because he has a mentality that doesn't take losing lightly. He was also honest and apologized to his teammates. He is having surgery to fix his wrist and he is stlll an offensive force (although clearly not like he was prior to 2002) with power, and a great eye

sursuciofla said:
I would be very surprised if they picked up the 17mil option. But I could see him coming back for 2/24. Moose may be looking for a 3 year deal but I don't think it would be smart to get too far ahead of yourself

sursuciofla said:
Johnsons future I think will be decided by him. He said he would gladly walk away from the money if he felt that he couldn't pitch anymore. Hes got the herniated disc and did not have a good year.

Sheffield should be taking a walk but I could see the yankees picking up his option, and trying to trade him for some young prospects. Sheffield is useless to the team in the outfield which is locked up for another 3 years in LF and CF and another 2 years in RF. He could be a good first basemen but I don't think he is worth it

sursuciofla said:
And the big question where will A-Rod go? Do you expect him to be a Yankee? Do you think his pretty boy ego can take another year of criticism from the fans and his peers?

The whole A-Rod debacle is a mess. He can't handle all of this media beating because he cares way too much. Every headline about choking hurts the guy and just causes him to press too hard. He is still one of the greatest players to ever live, but he can't handle the pressure in new york playing next to Jeter. He has the full no trade clause but I could see him waiveing it if the yankees asked him too. Only three teams I could envision him going to are the angels, ChiSox of Cubs.

sursuciofla said:
I think Torre is a product of just having great talent at his disposal. And I am not taking anything away from Torre because he is a great manager. But I don't think it is his fault. He can't go hit balls and he doesn't take the mound or play defense. He can't stop A-Rod from making errors. I bet if Torre wanted to bench A-Rod he would get so much heat from The Boss. Look Bernie Williams...he had to take a backseat once Sheffield, Matsui, and Damon came along. I remember when the Yanks were winning and every time I would see Bernie come to the plate I knew it would be a hit. I know he is old but sometimes all it takes is heart to infect an entire team. Steinbrenner thinks he can just buy a title but it takes more chemistry than money and stars to make a champion.

I think any manager could have won with the team from 96-00, but where Torre really proved his worth was post 2000 with how he handled the team under the scrutiny of steinbrenner and the fans for not winning. Torre definitely made some questionable calls in hindsight, but in the end it wasn't his decisions that caused them to lose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
sursuciofla said:
I understand.... :( :eek:neye:

The Yankees fans are in hiding

Yankee fans were in class.

I felt confident about the team going into the postseason, but when guys don't perform like they are capable its tough to be upset.

Reaction score

I think he'll be fired. Why? I don't know. He's done a great job and deserves to keep it.

Girardi

Yes.
No, but his pinstripes will be Phillies Red next year.

No idea.

The Phillies need a third baseman... :ninja:

Yeah, so my last couple responses were a little biased...

OP
S

sursuciofla

trpnmonkey41 said:
Yankee fans were in class.

I felt confident about the team going into the postseason, but when guys don't perform like they are capable its tough to be upset.

Hey now...just because I have just one class to finish my dual degrees...

I will be in class 2morrow around 11a, then back to MFs...just kidding off to work where I will be on MFs till time to go home.

OP
S

sursuciofla

surfwax95 said:

JaJaJa...Larry David is so cool. Too bad Steinbrenner didn't have time for Seinfeld. Probably funnier the way it went about anyways. :black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.