Optical to Analogue Stereo (optical to stereo RCA connection)

E

Evilpet

I have my Airport express finally configured and my intention was to send iTunes to it. I used a headphone type jack which splits into a left and a right channel and this is connected to my stereo amplifier (no, there is no digital input - its solely for stereo) - Result - the sound is very 'tinny' to say the least (virtually no midrange and I have to turn the amp to maximum to get output sound). I started doing a bit more googling on the subject and it appears that the sound is impressive if I used an optical cable from the Airport Express to an amplifier with an optical in -BUT is there any way of getting good sound from my current setup - I looked at Optical/digital to analogue converters and they are quite pricey (I might as well buy a new amp with an optical in). Also most converters are optical to coaxial etc.

So, I'm pretty stuck on this - I'm sure there are others in he same position as I am - that is, want to stream iTunes to an old amplifier without any digital inputs?

Hope you guys and gals can help me out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.