• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Arrival time seems off a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.33GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250GB HD
Most likely it allows them to cover for delays. I've seen FEDEX shipments get delayed for days due to various reasons such as lost paperwork, clueless custom agents, holiday weekends (Columbus Day).

My iMac was shipped on the 5th, due to arrive on the 16th, actually arrived on the 6th (it passed through Anchorage twice!). Maybe Apple knows how excited we get when a new toy arrives early. It was almost better than Christmas when this unbelievable 24" iMac arrived at the office!

OP
ripfrankwhite
Reaction score
IceMan in AK said:
Most likely it allows them to cover for delays. I've seen FEDEX shipments get delayed for days due to various reasons such as lost paperwork, clueless custom agents, holiday weekends (Columbus Day).

My iMac was shipped on the 5th, due to arrive on the 16th, actually arrived on the 6th (it passed through Anchorage twice!). Maybe Apple knows how excited we get when a new toy arrives early. It was almost better than Christmas when this unbelievable 24" iMac arrived at the office!

Really? That's great! Maybe my date is wrong too. Besides, it was supposed to be within 5 business days. This date puts it past that. I hope it's wrong. I could drive and pick it up faster than that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core 2 Duo, 2.33 GHz, 24", 64G 3G iPad
ripfrankwhite said:
Is this estimated arrival date correct? It shipped on the 6th. What do you think? Memphis is only 10 hours from Charlotte. Why do they estimate the arrival for the 16th?

http://server3.pictiger.com/img/589434/picture-hosting/-users-macbook-desktop-picture-2.php

The secret to Fedex logistics is the use of "hubs". Things don't just get picked up and delivered directly to you. They always hit a hub, get organized, and then go back out for delivery. Of course this makes total sense when things are covering great distances, but seems a little backward when it seems it would be easier to just shoot over and pick something up that is so close!

If you're really bored while waiting for your computer, there is tons of information on this stuff out there:
The Spoke-hub distribution paradigm (also known as a hub and spoke model) derives its name from a bicycle wheel, which consists of a number of spokes jutting outward from a central hub. In the abstract sense, a location is selected to be a hub, and the paths that lead from points of origin and destination are considered spokes. Because of the efficiency (and relative inflexibility) of the model, it requires that the items (or people) being distributed must be routed through a central hub before reaching their destination.
Two industries that make use of this model are transport and freight.

FedEx founder Fred Smith pioneered the hub and spoke model for overnight package delivery in the mid-1970s. Smith established his company's hub at Memphis International Airport (Memphis, Tennessee). Soon after, other firms like UPS and Airborne had no choice but to develop their own hub and spoke model given the natural superiority of this system for speedy delivery of packages. In addition to FedEx, Delta Air Lines pioneered the hub and spoke system in the passenger transportation industry at its hub in Atlanta, Georgia to compete with Eastern Air Lines.

OP
ripfrankwhite
Reaction score
shipsupt said:
The secret to Fedex logistics is the use of "hubs". Things don't just get picked up and delivered directly to you. They always hit a hub, get organized, and then go back out for delivery. Of course this makes total sense when things are covering great distances, but seems a little backward when it seems it would be easier to just shoot over and pick something up that is so close!

If you're really bored while waiting for your computer, there is tons of information on this stuff out there:
The Spoke-hub distribution paradigm (also known as a hub and spoke model) derives its name from a bicycle wheel, which consists of a number of spokes jutting outward from a central hub. In the abstract sense, a location is selected to be a hub, and the paths that lead from points of origin and destination are considered spokes. Because of the efficiency (and relative inflexibility) of the model, it requires that the items (or people) being distributed must be routed through a central hub before reaching their destination.
Two industries that make use of this model are transport and freight.

FedEx founder Fred Smith pioneered the hub and spoke model for overnight package delivery in the mid-1970s. Smith established his company's hub at Memphis International Airport (Memphis, Tennessee). Soon after, other firms like UPS and Airborne had no choice but to develop their own hub and spoke model given the natural superiority of this system for speedy delivery of packages. In addition to FedEx, Delta Air Lines pioneered the hub and spoke system in the passenger transportation industry at its hub in Atlanta, Georgia to compete with Eastern Air Lines.

Very interesting. It must work because it arrived at 9:45 this morning. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core 2 Duo, 2.33 GHz, 24", 64G 3G iPad
ripfrankwhite said:
Very interesting. It must work because it arrived at 9:45 this morning. :mac:

Well, that's what really counts! Enjoy.

Reaction score
My iMac departed Memphis today ... (Shanghai --> Anchorage --> Memphis --> ??) and is destined for Calgary, Alberta. It appears to me that Anchorage-Memphis leg is a big overshoot. Just hope those guys in Memphis have Calgary on their "spoke list" ... :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.