About to order!! Need last minute tips/advice.

Reaction score
Alright guys, I'm about to order and have the credit card in hand. I'm still torn between the Macbook and MBP though.

I'm a freshman in college and majoring in Digital Media Communication so a little later on I will be gettting into web page design and so forth. I know the Macbook will be fine for now for just taking notes and so forth but what do you guys think for later on? The guys over at Howard Forums tell me the Macbook will be fine if I can deal with the small screen but I still wonder if I should just get the MBP to safegaurd myself. The whole reason I am even considering the Macbook is because its a little smaller and more portable and a little better battery life. What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
IMO, if you can afford the MackBook Pro, get it. However, I think you will be fine with the MacBook and if a smaller size is more important to you, I think it will be a fine choice. :)

S

sursuciofla

What types of digital media will you be dabbling in, as what you said was pretty broad? I would say MacBook based on what you have said.

S

sursuciofla

If it is any conselation, my brother made it through design school (video, graphics, et cetera) on an ibook G4. Just as I. And MacBooks are definately going to be more powerful once the apps are all universal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
imho do your research completely before you simply purchase one or the other.
-chris

S

sursuciofla

coach_z said:
imho do your research completely before you simply purchase one or the other.
-chris

Hehe, yeah when you have to come to mac-forums to ask questions it is always good to put the CC away for at least one more day before you seal the deal. Definately good to do your homework before making a purchase.

Reaction score
jparker0201 said:
Alright guys, I'm about to order and have the credit card in hand. I'm still torn between the Macbook and MBP though.

I'm a freshman in college and majoring in Digital Media Communication so a little later on I will be gettting into web page design and so forth. I know the Macbook will be fine for now for just taking notes and so forth but what do you guys think for later on? The guys over at Howard Forums tell me the Macbook will be fine if I can deal with the small screen but I still wonder if I should just get the MBP to safegaurd myself. The whole reason I am even considering the Macbook is because its a little smaller and more portable and a little better battery life. What do you guys think?

Go to your nearest AppleStore or equivalent and get some hands-on with the MacBook and MacBook Pro. Have a chat to the salesdude and tell them what you plan to use the mac for and let the force guide you.....and then come back here for any info about these particular models... :dive:

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
I would go for the Macbook and then spend the extra on an external display. That way you have the portability and the benefit of a larger screen when you need it.

OP
J
Reaction score
We don't have an offical Mac store around my area but I have had hands on experience with both. In our campus library we the Macbooks on display for sale and a girl I talk to in my psychology class has a MBP and has let me mess around with it a little before. Also I have been doing some reading on Macs for the past couple of weeks now. I thought either or would do what I need just fine and you guys seemed to agree, but there were a few who said if I could afford the MBP to get it.

Anyways, I ordred this morning, and dun dun dun, I went with the MBP.

2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo
1GB 667 DDR2- 2x512 SO-DIMMS
80GB Serial ATA drive@5400rpm
SuperDrive (DVD+/-RW/CD-RW)
Glossy Widescreen Display
No optional SW
BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS
Airport Extreme Card&BT

Along with a 2gb Nano.

The only thing that sucks is they are "esstimating" my MBP won't be shipped until the 12th and delivered until the 19th. I'm hoping it really is around 7 days like you guys said and they just give themselves a grace period. I don't know if I could wait that long. I'm ready to be a part of the Mac community.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
jparker0201 said:
We don't have an offical Mac store around my are but I have had hands on experience with both. In our campus library we the Macbooks on display for sale and a girl I talk to in my psychology class has a MBP and has let me mess around with it a little before. Also I have been doing some reading on Macs for the past couple of weeks now. I thought either or would do what I need just fine and you guys seemed to agree, but there were a few who said if I could afford the MBP to get it.

Anyways, I ordred this morning, and dun dun dun, I went with the MBP.

2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo
1GB 667 DDR2- 2x512 SO-DIMMS
80GB Serial ATA drive@5400rpm
SuperDrive (DVD+/-RW/CD-RW)
Glossy Widescreen Display
No optional SW
BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS
Airport Extreme Card&BT

Along with a 2gb Nano.

The only thing that sucks is they are "esstimating" my MBP won't be shipped until the 12th and delivered until the 19th. I'm hoping it really is around 7 days like you guys said and they just give themselves a grace period. I don't know if I could wait that long. I'm ready to be a part of the Mac community.

Congrats on your purchase. :D

I went through the same thing with my MBP, it didnt ship until the week after I ordered it, but it was well worth the wait. :)

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2GHz | 1GB RAM | 256MB VRAM | Mac OS X 10.4.7
nice dude.. post some pix of the new baby when it arrives..

Reaction score
Well, apparantly there will soon be an upgrade of the MBP, so you may actually be getting an upgraded unit. But don't get your hopes up, it doesn't always happen.

OP
J
Reaction score
SurferDude said:
nice dude.. post some pix of the new baby when it arrives..
I will make sure to do that.
And then I have to get busy learning this new operating system. I'm sure it will be fun though.

UPDATE: So I was worried about the computer not shipping until the 12th? HA, the computer shipped just a little while ago, but not my ipod. What about that. Its supposed to arrive on the 12th. I CANNOT wait.

What about the computers is rumored to be updated?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB
Congrats on the purchase you will not regret it, I got mine a week ago today, I was using it 15mins after turning it on, the hardest part of the setup was controlling my impatience as it was playing the welcome video :p.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
jparker0201 said:
What about the computers is rumored to be updated?

The MBP is rumored to be getting a Core 2 Duo processor soon. The iMac was updated last month, so the MBP update should be coming soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD
Going from Core Duo to Core 2 Duo.
Oh man it would suck if you get your MBP with Core Duo and after 2 weeks they release the Core 2 Duo versions. I would feel sick to my stomach if I were you...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB
I would imagine that the update would be in January but I guess they might want to do it for Christmas this year. If they do update then it depends on wether you think you will regret not waiting, this is the only annoying thing with Apple, you never know when to buy because they say nothing and let the rumour sites make up/find reliable sources.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.