Creating Panoramics

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 20"
Hello all

I have a few set of pics I've taken to be put together for wide panoramic shots.

I would just like to know what everyone uses to put these panoramics together as I have never done it before?

Thanks in advance...

Jim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I quite like Hugin. It's pretty easy to use and produces good results, and it's free. I know one or two people say that they've had crashes but I've never known it - YMMV.

Reaction score
jim007 said:
Hello all

I have a few set of pics I've taken to be put together for wide panoramic shots.

I would just like to know what everyone uses to put these panoramics together as I have never done it before?

Thanks in advance...

Jim

G'day Jim, I'm presuming these are digital photos...I'd check the software that came with your digital camera as often they bundle the necessary software. My Canon came with PhotoStitch which merges images nicely. :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
None of the panoramic apps I have tried gave me good enough results. It could have been the photos I gave it to work with but it still wouldn't work very well. So, I use photoshop. I've only done one this way, and it only involved 2 photos, but I think it turned out well.

Its our new Boeing 727, donated buy FedEx this summer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
michaelstumpf said:
None of the panoramic apps I have tried gave me good enough results. It could have been the photos I gave it to work with but it still wouldn't work very well. So, I use photoshop. I've only done one this way, and it only involved 2 photos, but I think it turned out well.

Its our new Boeing 727, donated buy FedEx this summer.

You can see the line but only because color is off, try adjusting the color a little, and nobody will not hat was 2 different shots.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
PowerBookG4 said:
You can see the line but only because color is off, try adjusting the color a little, and nobody will not hat was 2 different shots.
yea, I know its not perfect but I really didn't spend a lot of time on it. But it does look better than any of the panoramic apps that I have used, in my opinion. I may get around to fixing the color differences but its not a priority right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I like it though.

Out of curiosity, what do you do that fed ex gave you a plane?

On the origional topic of the thread, I have not seen any really good programs that do this on the mac, but I have seen quite a few that work really well on windows, maybe you can try parallels or bootcamp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
PowerBookG4 said:
Out of curiosity, what do you do that fed ex gave you a plane?
Student at Purdue University. Unfortunately, they donated it to the university not me. The sad part about getting the new(er) plane was they demolished the old one.

Reaction score
i go into adobe bridge, then i think you go to tools, then photoshop, then photostitch maybe. click on that, the you select which photos you want to use. Photoshop is then opened and it stitches the photos together automaticly, but you can move them around manualy too. Just google it, thats what I did and got a real nice description on how to do this.

this is the first panerama i have ever created. After doing this I know now what I have to do when shooting to make this work a lot better.
panfromsacajawea.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah Photoshop is my pick of choice also through the Adobe bridge like mac-photo mentioned. Nice pic by the way :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
I actually tried a couple different apps out earlier, just to see which one looked better. I found Calico and thought the result was pretty good, aside from being shareware and putting watermarks all over the image. It seems like a good one if you are willing to pay $40 for it. Here is a comparison, and remember that I didn't really do the best job in photoshop:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB
The only time I ever did a panoramic photo, I used photoshop. It took quite a while as I had to correct each photo for distortion and then do some cleaning up by hand, but ultimately came up with the following for the singapor harbor:

Reaction score
I just used the software that came with my Canon PowerShot A70 to merge this photo of our community vegie garden.

261024545_3b4b5947b4.jpg

OP
jim007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 20"
Does anyone have a link to any good tutorials?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
I've done a few panorama shots myself (including 2 360 degree shots)

Here's some tips I found came up with.
•Shoot manually (manual settings) - but keep the specs the same for each shot - that way, your camera won't automatically compensate for shifting lighting conditions, colour balance etc. Expose for the important tones, so take test shots first. Basically, a single tone in one pic should be the very same in the next, and the one after.

•use a tripod :D

• I prefer to keep the angle of shots very close together - I think around 30 degrees was good for landscapes I found. Too far apart and the perspective shifts too much - meaning more work later.

• I used photoshop for my projects. Having control is nice. Bring all pics in on new layers and use layer masks (button at the bottom of layers palette) to mask parts of the photo, rather than erasing. Use very large soft-edged brushes to begin with, and work finer once details are established.

Here's some examples of my panoramas (jim007, you'll probably recognise these, I live in Melb too ;))

*click shots for full view - heaps of detail!*
My first panorama - this was 4 or 5 photos. A few hiccups in the sky.
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/17062259/?qo=59&q=by:dtownley1&qh=sort:time+-in:scraps

These two were composed of 12 shots each.
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/22309773/?qo=40&q=by:dtownley1&qh=sort:time+-in:scraps

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/22344486/?qo=39&q=by:dtownley1&qh=sort:time+-in:scraps

Reaction score
dtownley1 said:
I've done a few panorama shots myself (including 2 360 degree shots)

Here's some tips I found came up with.
•Shoot manually (manual settings) - but keep the specs the same for each shot - that way, your camera won't automatically compensate for shifting lighting conditions, colour balance etc. Expose for the important tones, so take test shots first. Basically, a single tone in one pic should be the very same in the next, and the one after.

•use a tripod :D

• I prefer to keep the angle of shots very close together - I think around 30 degrees was good for landscapes I found. Too far apart and the perspective shifts too much - meaning more work later.

• I used photoshop for my projects. Having control is nice. Bring all pics in on new layers and use layer masks (button at the bottom of layers palette) to mask parts of the photo, rather than erasing. Use very large soft-edged brushes to begin with, and work finer once details are established.

Here's some examples of my panoramas (jim007, you'll probably recognise these, I live in Melb too ;))

*click shots for full view - heaps of detail!*
My first panorama - this was 4 or 5 photos. A few hiccups in the sky.
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/17062259/?qo=59&q=by:dtownley1&qh=sort:time+-in:scraps

These two were composed of 12 shots each.
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/22309773/?qo=40&q=by:dtownley1&qh=sort:time+-in:scraps

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/22344486/?qo=39&q=by:dtownley1&qh=sort:time+-in:scraps

Thanks for sharing your photos...absolutely fantastic pictures!!!

~ :doctor:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Pulse-8 said:

Very true. They are really nice. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Pulse-8 said:

anytime ;)

I hope these were of some help to people here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.