• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Downloading games online legally?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM
Hello.. I want to download games for my mac, like the sims 2. I don't want to download them illegally, I want to pay for them and be able to download them immediately. The reason I want to do this is because I don't feel like waiting for a disk to ship when I have broadband and can download a large game quickly. Is this even possible to do? Or could I download a game from a file sharing program and then buy a license somehow? thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
Well I believe the only way to do it legally is to buy a disc. There could be ways though

Reaction score
I don't know of any services for OS X but if you have an intel mac that also is running windows you can go to steampowered.com or windowsmarketplace.com.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
rift0065 said:
Hello.. I want to download games for my mac, like the sims 2. Is this even possible to do? Or could I download a game from a file sharing program and then buy a license somehow? thanks!
No, no and no.
I can see your point, but you will have to purchase the discs and wait for them to ship.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
well if you purchase the disk online and have it shipped home you do technically own it since you have purchased it. if you dowload it, in theory, you are downloading a backup of the game. problem will come around if the game checks for the disk or if it requires a SN of any sort.

in all reality it is probably still illegal, and i dont think there is a way to do it legally. except if you get up, leave your house, go to the store and purchase it and drive home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
coach_z said:
if you dowload it, in theory, you are downloading a backup of the game. problem will come around if the game checks for the disk or if it requires a SN of any sort.

in all reality it is probably still illegal, and i dont think there is a way to do it legally. except if you get up, leave your house, go to the store and purchase it and drive home.

Morally it may seem correct but it is still completely illegal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think Aspyr wants to roll something like this out soon...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.