• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Zune to sell for $249.99

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
it also won't be profitable; they're banking on it paying off at some point down the road. now apple, they make a good 110$ on their iPod's when they're sold

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I don't really understand the purpose of video on something that small. I watched one or two TV shows on my Video iPod and decided it was kinda lame. I'm looking forward to the new Shuffle, lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5, iBook, 60gb iPod Photo, iPod mini and two shuffles
What we really need is a proper second competitor to Apple in the computer stakes, MS copying Apple is getting pretty tired now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
davetheblaze said:
What we really need is a proper second competitor to Apple in the computer stakes, MS copying Apple is getting pretty tired now.
Considering Apple didn't invent the mp3 player, how do you figure MS is copying them? There were mp3 players out years before the iPod was launched-- would you say Apple copied the likes of Diamond Multimedia, Creative, Compaq, and iRiver, all of whom had mp3 players out prior to Apple ever getting in the game?

Seriously, the Zune is pretty much a rebranded Gigabeat S with some extra features. In the electronics/computer industry everyone copies everyone else. Apple is as guilty as any, however they do pay attention to detail and do a better job than most, but their inovations are mostly in user experience and style.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dan828 said:
Considering Apple didn't invent the mp3 player, how do you figure MS is copying them? There were mp3 players out years before the iPod was launched-- would you say Apple copied the likes of Diamond Multimedia, Creative, Compaq, and iRiver, all of whom had mp3 players out prior to Apple ever getting in the game?

I figure they are copying them based on the very similiar design with a similiar shape and also a control which looks something like a thumb wheel from the early iPods and its also white. The article also mentions it 'looks like an iPod' in its first line.

If you can honestly look at that image alongside an iPod and say there arent some similiar style cues then Id be pretty surprised.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
davetheblaze said:
I figure they are copying them based on the very similiar design with a similiar shape and also a control which looks something like a thumb wheel from the early iPods and its also white. The article also mentions it 'looks like an iPod' in its first line.

If you can honestly look at that image alongside an iPod and say there arent some similiar style cues then Id be pretty surprised.

Not to beat a dead horse, but this:

Rio_pmp300.jpg

came out about 3 years before this:

Lightmatter_ipod_1G.jpg

But I'm not saying that MS (well Toshiba) didn't want to copy some of the styling, I'm just saying the everyone does it, and suggesting it goes only one way isn't quite honest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Every MP3 player or similar will be compared to the iPod. The iPod is now the most popular media player so it is logical, i'm pretty sure when the first generation iPod was released it was compared to something else. The colors, the materials, the GUI, the location and size of the controls, the format, everything is just an upgrade of the GigaBeat as dan828. I don't think Toshiba is copying Apple, Apple doesn't have a patent over rectangular MP3 players.
I don't think Microsoft expected Apple to low the price of the iPod, also i believe it will be possible to obtain it for less money depending on the retailer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Personally I think Zune has some killer features that the iPod doesn't have. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. I think it will be serious challenger to the iPod. MS has a ton of money and is willing to spend it (look what they did with the Xbox).

What this will do is force Apple to put some real innovation back into the iPod. Making it smaller and smaller to me is not innovation, that's the natural evolution of tech. How about wide screen movie viewing, WiFi, you know....the things Zune already has. And then how about some new awesome features that will blow us all away. I don't need another microscopic iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
The Zune is a pretty badass DAP but I don't see it doing much considering that the iPod is going for the same amount and it has proven itself worthy over the years.

The WiFi is definately cool but I'm sure its going to take its toll on battery life. I also read somewhere about the WiFi feature that you can't share share your music with anyone else, so I don't really see the WiFi aspect really taking off when it comes to the Zune. I also read somewhere today that MS is actually going to lose around $50 for every unit it sells.

Only time will tell...And if it's a matter of money I'm pretty sure MS isnt worried.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
digital john said:
The Zune is a pretty badass DAP but I don't see it doing much considering that the iPod is going for the same amount and it has proven itself worthy over the years.

That's probably the same thing they said about the Rio when the iPod came out ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
schweb said:
That's probably the same thing they said about the Rio when the iPod came out ;)

Schweb- 1
John- 0

I hope for the sake of my portfolio your wrong...Even though I have stock in MS and Apple...lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess my main point here is that Wifi, built-in FM, 16:9 video, are true innovations. What was the last true innovation in the iPod that would take players to the next level? I can't think of one in the last few years other than video (but as a caveat, I don't think Apple did video right on the iPod).

I'm just hoping this spurs Apple to truly start innovating again rather than resting on their laurels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The Zune does not have 16:9 video. The screen resolution is the same as the iPod, only it's "squished." It is slightly larger (0.5") diagonally.

The wireless capability also adds DRM to songs. If you share a song with another Zune over AirPort, the recipient can listen to it up to 3 times, over up to 3 days. After which time it will either delete itself or become unplayable.

It is not known whether the Zune will be able to sync with a music library on a wifi-equipped PC, but we do know it will not be possible to download directly from the music store over a wireless network.

Innovative, yes, but one wonders why Microsoft bothered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im still sticking by my view that the Zune looks far too much like an iPod to not be classed as copying.

The new features in the Zune will probably force Apple to to something but I think they have been working on the software side of things and just making the pods smaller for a bit.

I am really expecting Apple to launch something big in the next couple of years, whether it be a phone or a media centre or games machine or something else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
technologist said:
The Zune does not have 16:9 video. The screen resolution is the same as the iPod, only it's "squished." It is slightly larger (0.5") diagonally.

The wireless capability also adds DRM to songs. If you share a song with another Zune over AirPort, the recipient can listen to it up to 3 times, over up to 3 days. After which time it will either delete itself or become unplayable.

It is not known whether the Zune will be able to sync with a music library on a wifi-equipped PC, but we do know it will not be possible to download directly from the music store over a wireless network.

Innovative, yes, but one wonders why Microsoft bothered.

You've been buying into the FUD. DRM is not added to anything. If you have a DRMed song that was purchased from the Zune equivalent of iTunes, songs that your share will be time limited-- 3 replays or 3 days, whichever comes first.

http://www.medialoper.com/hot-topics/microsoft/microsoft-insider-clarifies-zunes-sharing-limitations

Im still sticking by my view that the Zune looks far too much like an iPod to not be classed as copying.

Fine, but then to be honest, you'll have to look at the above pics and realize that Apple did the same thing when they originally designed the iPod. So it's a copy of a copy. Does Apple get first dibs on having a round interface device because they ripped it off first? Don't be hypocritical.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its not just a round control method. If I was to hold up the three products to someone who knows none of their history Im pretty sure most people would find more commonalities between the Zune and iPod.

It just seems lazy for a company as large as MS to produce a product which looks so much like an iPod and costs pretty much the same.

Maybe your right and the Zune is a radical step up and the iPod is just a copy of something else but it will be a long time before I agree.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since apparently there are many who would hate anything from Microsoft regardless of its merits, I'll ask this question...

In the last two years, name something truly innovative that Apple introduced in the iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB
The Zune looks great, I might buy one if it can link up with the Xbox 360, it seems more tempting that buying another iPod or less Apple do something to jazz the iPod up. Apple really do need to step up the game, especially in respect to the fact that they are going to be pulled into the spec game, well at least thats what Microsoft PR will probably do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
The real question is what else would you add to the iPod? A true video iPod with a nice 16:9 touch screen jumps to everyone's mind, but it is not a practical device, it would be too expensive, the battery would have a short life, it would be too fragile... The key for the iPod is desing and integration and this is what Microsoft should aim to. I can't really think of a good reason to share a song using WiFi if it only will play 3 times, if i want to share i use speakers or a split connector. WiFi to sync with your computer? For one or two songs it sounds good, but once you have more you will need extra power, and if you are going to connect the AC why not the USB?

At the end the true innovations in DAP do not come from Apple or Microsoft but from asian companies like Archos or even Sony. Palm released the LifeDrive at the beginning of this year, and there you have a device with wireless, a big memory, a big screen, audio and video capable and much more, and well, it is not a success. If Toshiba manages to keep a good design wether it looks like an iPod or a peapod, if they get a great battery life, if Microsoft provides a simple but efficient GUI and if the Zune system is as good as they promise, then the Zune DAP will be a success, and to be a success they don't have to take the market from Apple, if they get a 20 to 40% i would say the won.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.