Exchange on the MAC

Reaction score
Well a new 15in macbook pro is on the way. I have one question. I use exchange for work(email, cal, contacts,etc). I know that Entourage can access the data for me, but is there any third party program that could fetch off exchange and sync it with the apple mail, calendar, and address book. I would love to be able to use these programs.

Thanks

D

darcyl

Mets?! Let's go Jays!
;)

I don't know details, but I did find this link:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/windows/

If you look about halfway down there's a section called "Share Mail" which claims that Mac OS X Mail will work with Exchange using IMAP boxes.

Something to point in the right direction anyway...

DL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
That would require his company to enable IMAP support (Which if I recall requires them to set up RPC over HTTPS, which is a major league pain in rear). I haven't seen anything other than Entourage that can do anything with Exchange servers

D

darcyl

I asked my boss at work (who has written a book in the past on Exchange and Outlook) and he didn't think it was too big a deal. Exchange comes with it turned on apparantly, and administrators tend to turn it off, so it probably isn't available out of the box. Although its normally turned on for a set group, it can be turned on for individual accounts...and he seemed to think that it would be as easy as clicking a checkbox (maybe a few more steps, but you get the picture)

However, I'd still need to log in to our VPN, which is probably the work around to the RPC over HTTPS bit...not sure what Met's work situation is. It's worth it to ask about anyway...might not be hard for them to set up...or maybe it is.

DL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24 inch imac 4 gig ram 320 gig hdd. MB C2D 320 gig hd 4 gig ram, 8 gig iphone
hey everyone. I'm new here but I think I can help out. If you are =using Microsoft Entourage on your Mac it's really quite simple. When you start up Entourage it will run through the set up process and ask you how you recieve mail. either from a webbased account (i.e yahoo or msn) or an e-mail server, or I connect thru a Microsoft exchange server. As long as you have a client profile set up in Active Directory, it shouldn't be a big deal as long as you have the client information for example: joedoe @ 123company.sbs.local and all the appropriate passwords. In my opinion Microsoft Entourage is just like Outlook with an almost exact interface click for click.

I hope this helps

Chris

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I knew about the IMAP option via Mail. I am the admin on the exchange server, and I have IMAP turned on, and https connectiosn etc so that is not a problem.

I was looking for more of a sync program that may grab the cal/address book off exchange and syncs them with my apple programs. If not, will use Entourage, not the biggest deal......

Since we all use WM5 devices, having exchange works great for us. Sooo, that is my issue.

Oh, and I was supposed to have my Pro Book today, now it's coming Monday.....I had my whole weekend planned out based on that :). Now it's time to back to crying that Pedro is out for the playoffs.

OP
L
Reaction score
I found the answer to my own problem, and wanted to share with the rest of you.

If you update your Entourage to the latest edition, it syncs with Ical and addressbook if you want it too, and vice versa. This way, if you change anything in those programs it changes via Entourage in the background on your exchange server as well.

http://www.entourage.mvps.org/faq_topic/sync_services.html

That will explain it better.

I am going to use Mail via IMAP and then use the other OS X apps and will still have all of it on my exchange server.

I will play with it and report back.....

OP
L
Reaction score
Just an update, this seems to be working great. Ical and Addressbook are so much better then the built in Entourage part. Anyway, I have one more question, I have to open up Entourage a few times a day to have it sync back to my exchange server which is no big deal. However, I am sure there is an easy way to have an Apple Script open up Entourage and then close it 5 minutes later a few times a day? Any apple scripters on here?

Thanks

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I knew about the IMAP option via Mail. I am the admin on the exchange server, and I have IMAP turned on, and https connectiosn etc so that is not a problem.

can you please tell me how to do this? I have an exchange account but I am having trouble getting it to sync with Mail. For some reason I can't figure out the outgoing mail server.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.