Mac & Windows

G

GeorgiaBoy

Starting a new job soon and new boss needs to buy me a computer. I need Mac for the graphics and editing, but need Windows for access to the company database. I suggested the MacBook Pro rather than buying a Mac and a PC.

He said he thought you could simply drop 2 hard drives into a single machine and set up Mac on one and Windows on the other - I have never heard of this.

Please tell me he's crazy!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
It sounds like a simple misunderstanding of what you CAN do with a MacBook Pro. If you go for this model, get a copy of Parallels and a copy of Windows and you can run them both at the same time. You can't actually put 2 hard drives into a MacBook Pro, but you can certainly upgrade to a much bigger drive or use an external firewire drive.

OP
S

sursuciofla

I would use an external for windows, don't want it infecting something that's more difficult to replace. Easier to replace an external.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
sursuciofla said:
I would use an external for windows, don't want it infecting something that's more difficult to replace. Easier to replace an external.

Does bootcamp support an external bootbable windows drive? Last time I looked it didn't. Does parallels? If so, this is where parallels will have the edge.

To answer the OP question, I am assuming your boss means dropping two drives into a standard PC and running both OS? If so, the answer is no, you cannot do that with Mac OSX.

OP
D

darcyl

Parallels

Hey GeorgiaBoy,

Just a note on Parallels: one guy at my work (Windows development shop) has a Mac Book Pro, and he uses Parallels to do all his Visual Studio demos on...so its very capable of handling processor-intense stuff.

DL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.