Extract still images from DVD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Hi,
What is the best way to extract still images from a DVD?

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
If you mean screenshot capture, go with VLC. It lets you play any region DVD and capture images easily at DVD native resolution.

OP
RiDE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
cazabam said:
If you mean screenshot capture, go with VLC. It lets you play any region DVD and capture images easily at DVD native resolution.

Thank you. Is taking a screenshot the best or only way to pull a still image from a DVD? The screenshot will maintain the original resolution?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Yes. Actually, I should have said "screengrab" - screenshot implies that you take a picture of the window in which the video is playing. What VLC lets you do is skip forward to the exact frame you want and then capture it at the true resolution, regardless of the window size.

OP
RiDE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Fantastic!!! Thank you very much.

OP
RiDE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
cazabam said:
Yes. Actually, I should have said "screengrab" - screenshot implies that you take a picture of the window in which the video is playing. What VLC lets you do is skip forward to the exact frame you want and then capture it at the true resolution, regardless of the window size.

I tried this and it certainly does take the still image... but.... the quality is terrible...

Does anyone know of a better way, or better app. to pull an image from a DVD at very high quality???

There is a great picture on a family trip DVD slideshow that I'd lie to extract, but I need the quality to be high enough that it would warrant developing the image.

Thanks in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.