Vista Capable?

H

helios

simple question i guess: if i were to get say a Macbook, 2.0 ghz, 1gb ram...will that be able to run vista when it is released? should do right...just graphics i'm not sure about?? seeing as it requires a certain spec, as suppose to previous windows OSs...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I am not 100% sure, but I know the curiosity is there, I am planning on running it on my MBP when it comes out, just to try it. I know that there is are heavy graphics in VISTA and I am pretty sure that the macbook can semi-handle it. ie, not do everything but be able to at-least run the os so you can see it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Am I? Yes.
The macbook however does not have dedicated graphics, only the pro model .

Cam

Reaction score
The microsoft site for the download of vista at the moment simply states a 'direct x 9 capable card'. Im sure when you couple the 3d effects on the desktop with shoddy microsoft programming you'll end up neading maybe 32mb of video card ram. I wouldn't be expecting anything more than that

Reaction score
I don't know if this will help you, but I had put Vista on my PC with on-board video (32 MB) and I couldn't get the Aero glass theme. I could still use the OS, just not the "fancy" stuff. I upgraded to a 128 MB card, and the Aero glass theme works, and looks great, IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 GHz C2D, 2 GB
Will the demo work on my iMac?

I'm getting my iMac this weekend and was curious as to the possibility of getting the Windows Vista demo to work. Has anyone tried it? Does anyone know if it's completely impossible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have tried it, but you need to scratch os x to get it to work, unless you can find another way.

Reaction score
lakermace said:
I'm getting my iMac this weekend and was curious as to the possibility of getting the Windows Vista demo to work. Has anyone tried it? Does anyone know if it's completely impossible?
What do you mean by demo?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
PowerBookG4 said:
I have tried it, but you need to scratch os x to get it to work, unless you can find another way.

I don't understand. Do you mean remove your OS X partition.
I have Vista and OS X as dual-boot thru bootcamp no probs.
Just have to remove the EFI partition when installing Vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I installed the newest RC1 beta of Vista today with Parallels, I only have a gig of ram so I had to give Vista 512 MB, it was a little slow but still ran fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM
I have Vista RC1 running on my Macbook (2.0 ghz, 1 gig RAM, on board video) and it runs GREAT and looks GREAT, with all the visual features! I did not have to get rid of OS X, just made a partition with boot camp like you would while doing an XP install, then installed Vista. No problems whatsoever, boot camp drivers work too, all except for the iSight, but thats no big deal to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2ghz Core Duo 2gb Ram 160gb Hard Drive
Im running vista RC1, XP Pro, and Suse 10.1 on parallels. Runs great except vista is still a little buggy mainly because parallels vista is really new at this point I think. Xp Pro and Suse were running on only 176 mb or ram and they ran fine. I upped the ram on them to 512mb and they are really snappy even when I run Visual Studios.Net it open very quickly. No for Vista it will need more time but I suggest running it in parallels because you can always make a make an good image of how you want things to be so in case something gets messed up you just repace it with the good image and start over.

Cam

Reaction score
This demo version of vista, what does it support in terms of programs? I'm intrigued to give it a try, but if it's totally useless I'll give it a miss.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.