• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Winows ----> Mac how to

E

eebamxela

i have windows. by have i mean hate. its one of those love/hate relationships that yer just afraid to get out of.

i dont care about music pictures or internet. i know that those are pretty universal things. but what i am most afraid of is: i use software that i may or may not have paid for. how can i be sure that i can find the right version or whatever that will work on a mac? cuz i dont know if i want to get a mac if i cant get what i have for my current computer.

also what are the equivalents for these

on windows = on mac
*.exe = ?
*.zip = ?
*.rar = ?

i have seen *.dmg and *.sit but i have no idea what they are.

also on a different tangent. i hear all about how macs are virtualy immune to most viruses that windows is affected by. what about if you have the windows OS isntalled on a mac? it seems that that would defeat the purpose of getting a mac in the first place. or would getting a mac and putting windows on it be the answer to all my prayers?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
if you put windows on a mac you can get any virus a normal pc would get

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB
I'm not sure what you're trying to get at with your first question. Are you wondering if licenses for programs you have for Windows will be transferrable to Macs? Or are you wondering if your Windows programs have Mac equivalents?

I don't believe executable files will install/open on Macs, .dmg (disk image) files are essentially Mac equivalents.

.zip and .rar files are expandable through Stuffit Expander and .sit files are stuffed files, equivalent to .zip files.

Macs, like Windows, do have viruses. The distinct different, however, is that Viruses don't need your permission to install on Windows, whereas you actually have to enter your password to install any software (virus or not) on Macs. If you have both OSes installed on a mac, a virus installed on Windows will have no effect on your Mac installation.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
todd51 said:
From what I have learnt so far:

.exe=.dmg
.zip=.sit

Actually a .dmg is basically an image format, so it isn't the actual app, it is just a container for that app.

.exe = .app (but the extension is usually hidden), so outlook.exe = mail.app.

Macs, like Windows, do have viruses.

Actually, whilst you can say that macs are theoretically also susceptible to viruses, there are currently 0 malicious viruses for OS X out there in the wild. This might change at any moment, but currently we're safe :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
it should stay safe as long as darwin stays open source and we have some good developers.. closes source windows is never a winning task. if you cant involve the public with it then they will try to destroy it lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.