Super drive doesn't want to read my audio CD's

Reaction score
I have a new MB with the super drive. Last night I was hoping to load several CD's into itunes. The 1st CD went fine. After that, it was having a hard time reading the CD's and kept spitting them out. A couple of times it would list the tracks but when I tried to copy the tracks to my library, it got hung up and I had to force quit itunes.

My audio CD's are in very good condition and am wondering if there is a problem with my drive or maybe there is a setting I can change that will help.

Anyone have this problem and any suggestions?

S

sursuciofla

Did you download the new itunes v.7, Idid but have not tested it out yet so it could be a software problem. Your drive may just be a bad one though so I hate to have to say it but send computer back to Apple to check it out. I have had that problem a few times but only after I loaded like 15-20 cds consecutively.

Reaction score
Definately update to the latest version of iTunes then test to see if the problem persists.

Have you tested other discs ie: data or DVD's?

OP
W
Reaction score
Tried the DVD last night and it played fine.

Don't know if I have the latest version of itune or not. Will check tonight.

I don't have a problem bringing it back to Apple.....that's why there is a warranty.

Reaction score
The Super Drive seems to be very delicate...

When i first got my iMac I had several of my girlfriend's CD's that got 'hung up' in the drive when a scratch was encountered. About the only thing I could do when this happened was to force quit and sometimes that didn't work and i had to do a shut down and restart the computer to get the CD out of the drive. I really think this problem should be addressed by Apple because some CD's were really very clean looking to me.

OP
W
Reaction score
Well, Apple just replaced my optical drive and I still have the same problem.

I'm working with Apple tech support to try and isolate the problem. When we find the solution, I'll post the findings.

In the meantime, if anyone else had this problem and found the cure, could you share that info.....thanks

C

coloradobob

Me too

wavewuver said:
Well, Apple just replaced my optical drive and I still have the same problem.

I'm working with Apple tech support to try and isolate the problem. When we find the solution, I'll post the findings.

In the meantime, if anyone else had this problem and found the cure, could you share that info.....thanks

I have the same problem folks. but mine won't take any disc's of any kind ... They stay in 5-10 seconds and eject.

Taking in to CompUAS tomorrow. Let you know how that one goes.

D

darcyl

Have you guys checked to make sure that the CD's you're trying to import to ITunes don't have DRM protection on them? I don't know about Mac's (haven't had mine long enough to test ripping CD's...long story), but on PC's you sometimes get the odd CD that won't be readable in the CD tray...sometimes copy protection.

Worth checking out anyway. Most CD's will have it listed on the back whether there's copy protection.

DL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
that issue is usually cause by dirty/scratched disks, or if they are cd-r's, it can be caused by cheap media.
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8GB iPhone, MacBook Pro (15",2.33 C2D), MacBook (2.0 C2D), 4 iPods (20GB, Mini, Nano, Shuffle)
Curious if folks are experiencing this on just MacBooks or also on MacBookPro. Thoughts?

--Chris

OP
W
Reaction score
Some more background info.

First, my CD's are in virtually perfect condition. This is not an issue of dirty or scratched disks. These are not CD's that have been copied. These were all purchased by me. And, yes, I have the latest version of itunes and the latest operating system updates

When I turn on the MacBook for the first time, I can usually copy 3-4 CD's before it starts to reject them.

CD's which cannot be read when the Mac goes into it's "rejection mode" are eventually accepted if I wait till the next day when the unit has sat for a period of time.

It seems to read DVD's just fine.

I'm wondering if this is a heat related issue, but that is just a thought.

We'll see what the apple experts come up with.

Reaction score
wavewuver said:
Some more background info.
I'm wondering if this is a heat related issue, but that is just a thought.

My compaq laptop (works i'm afraid) has the same problem when the drive gets hot, I usually just leave it for about 15 - 30 minutes and then its fine.

I wouldn't be surprised if its a similar issue.

Grez..

Reaction score
I get this in my mac mini sometimes but when I use my external drive it reads the discs. I'm guessing this is an issue with some of the smaller drives used in portables and the smaller desktops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.16Ghz Intel Duo Core 2
Yep I had the same problem with my iMac superdrive from day one wouldn't read CD's or DVD's had to take it back to the store and swap it for a new computer... sounds like a problem MAC should be looking at.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I Don't have the same problem but recently when I tried to add a backup copy(DVD) to my library it copied only a few files(mp3s). It is really annoying to go through all the CDs to see what is missing and what is not.

OP
W
Reaction score
Geeting annoyed now. I've sent emails to Apple with no replies yet. I'm ready to send the MacBook back, although I really don't want to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.