• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Bought a mac mini right before new ones were released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook 700MH, Mac mini 1.66GH core duo, iPod 5G 60Gig
:eek:neye: So I've been wanting a new mac and was waiting for the pro intels to come out, but once I saw them I decided I couldn't afford it. I had already bought a new monitor, which wasn't cheap either, so the iMac was out, so I opted for the mac mini. Well I ordered it on Aug 12, but didn't receive it until the 23rd because of some problems with FedEx. So of course right after I buy it the new mac minis come out and I'm left kicking myself.

Well a friend of mine thought he heard somewhere that apple would let you trade in a recent purchase in this situation for the new model, but I couldn't find anything like that on the website.

So my question is: Do they actually do something like this and just don't advertise it, or will I have to be happy with what I bought and hope for better luck in a few years when I'm ready for my next computer?

One other thing, What is the difference between the Intel Core Duo that I have and the new Intel Core 2 Duo? Is it even worth being concerned about?

Thanks to all.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Remember, the new Mini is NOT a Core 2. It's still a core. All they did was on the $599 model put in a Core Duo instead of a Core Solo, and on the $799 model upped the clock speed to 1.83Ghz from 1.66. Only thing that hurt a bit was paying $799 for what now costs $599 but that is progress! :spook:

OP
trp_m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook 700MH, Mac mini 1.66GH core duo, iPod 5G 60Gig
dtravis7 said:
Remember, the new Mini is NOT a Core 2. It's still a core. All they did was on the $599 model put in a Core Duo instead of a Core Solo, and on the $799 model upped the clock speed to 1.83Ghz from 1.66. Only thing that hurt a bit was paying $799 for what now costs $599 but that is progress! :spook:

My mistake, I thought the mac minis were also upgraded to the core 2. I'm not so upset now, I may be jipped out of $200 but at least I'm not losing out on a new chip. Thanks for the help.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Also I don't believe that you were "jipped". You received and payed for the item you requested.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.