power went out now im having some serious problems...

Reaction score
ok well im pretty new to these forums and i havnt had any problems with my macbook until now .. last night the power went out and my router and modem shut off...no big deal...but for some reason i turned them back on and my computer will now not connect wirelessly to the interent. it dosent even pick up the wirelesss router. does anyone know why this would be happening. please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Have you tried power cycling the setup?
If you haven't, or if you don't know what I mean by this, just follow these steps in this order:

1. Power everything down (modem, router and ALL computers involved)
2. Wait at least one full minute
3. Power the modem back on and wait for it to cycle through its startup sequence. You should see the lights come on, one at a time, then start to flash.
4. Power the router back on
5. Power on the computers, starting with the ones connected via ethernet (wired) and ending with the wireless ones.

This sequence should allow all the computers to pull fresh DHCP and allow them to connect to the internet at the same time.

OP
H
Reaction score
yes i have tried that... i am gonna try it again since the last time was last night and thats when the power went out but do u have any ideas why the mac isnt even picking up the wireless router?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
hogface13 said:
yes i have tried that... i am gonna try it again since the last time was last night and thats when the power went out but do u have any ideas why the mac isnt even picking up the wireless router?

When the power went out, was the Mac using battery power or AC? Did the Mac get shut down also or just the router and modem?

Is the Macbook the only computer you have with wireless? I am wondering if when the power went out if something got messed up in the router and it's not even putting out a wireless signal for the Macbook to pick up. I have seen sudden power outages do strange things to some routers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
Everytime the power kicks out here (hurricane, good summer storm, etc.), I always reset the router to Factory Default, and then I reconfigure the router again.

It always seems to do the trick :doctor:

OP
H
Reaction score
well yes i acually talked to my uncle(a computer programmer) and he is the one that gave me the wireless and he told me that the "wireless" part of the router might have died so he told me to just go get another router so i think thats what i might try thanks alot for all ur help guys and girls ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.