• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

worried I've been accessed remotely

R

rlogan

In my activity monitor I have several things with user 'root' and also one with user 'windowserve'. Is this normal? I dont rmemebr seeing these here before.
Thanks for any advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yes, you have nothing to worry about. It's impossible for people to hack OSX...it hasn't been done yet.

Also, unless you put in your admin password and gave them access, there's no way for them to do it.

You're fine. :)

OP
R

rlogan

thanks a lot for that. Ive been getting so much spam and attempted identity theft and ebay ripoff emails I was concerned someone had 'got in'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
rlogan said:
thanks a lot for that. Ive been getting so much spam and attempted identity theft and ebay ripoff emails I was concerned someone had 'got in'.
Yes, you have nothing to worry about. It is extremely rare for anyone to ever actually get "hacked" and have someone "get in" to your computer, regardless of your platform/OS. Most people who write malware/adware, want ID info or personal data, etc. have neither the time nor the resources or even the desire to actually take control of your system and get information from it themselves. That is why they send out phisher emails and bogus weblinks like you have been getting. That way they don't have to actually "hack" your system or do any work, because if one were to actually reply to those hoaxes, they would be doing all the work and just give the information to the person who sent the email.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5, iBook, 60gb iPod Photo, iPod mini and two shuffles
My wife used our main account to register for the student union and suprisingly the amount of spam we got was unbelievable.

Ive now taken to using disposable email accounts to point to my main one, then if one gets over spammed I just close it off. Google works well for this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.