HD Full - but with what??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3 MacBook Air 1.7 i5 - also, Mac Mini and dead 12in iBook G4 (RIP)
Hi folks...

confusing one here. I have a Mac Mini, 9 months old - which my wife uses very occasionally and my 10-year-old uses on the net to go to her friends' chat sites.

Neither are what you'd call heavy users, and I can find no large folders on my HD which would explain where the full 75 Gig has gone to and how it's been filled up.

Currently, the Mini won't even download emails as it says the disk is full. Totally!

As far as I can see there might just be 28-30Gb of datd etc etc etc but that's stretching it a little.

If it was a PC I'd assume I had a virus that was somehow either fooling the HD or actually filling it with images, or something.

I have no idea where to start looking for the problem.

Any ideas??

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
D3v1L80Y said:
Its full of cheese.... :black:

Seriously, try downloading and installing Disk Inventory X to see what is filling your HD.

Cheers.... I think cheese might be the answer... can't fathom what else it might be...

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Run Disk Inventory - it says I have 56Gb of "Volumes" which seems to consist of many copies of back-up files, which I thought should have been stored on my external back-up drive and which I have spent 2 hours deleting from it...

Are the buggers also filling my HD?

Can I just bin them too, I wonder??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Well you will have to find what it is on your own first because you can't doownload anything.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appreciate that... but was wondering out loud what would happen if I could locate and delete all the "back-up" files

Spotlight won't find "Volumes" for me to open it and delete the files....

So not sure how to free up my HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
This sounds like a silly suggestion, but others in these forums had the problem solved this way: have you emptied your recycle bin?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
woo.. now i can type! before I was not able to see what i was typing so i was just trying ot offer advice.. I now type in a mail box, copy and paste it to the forums, lol.... So this is what I would say.. I would say delete all your logs.. (and check to see how big the logs are, if they get stuck in a loop they can get quite large, I have heard of them getting up to 70gb) Then delete all un-used files, documents, etc. Then I would suggest go online and download delocalizer from version tracker and erase all the foreign language support that is part of osx.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Found my problem - and cured it.

It wasn't the Recycle Bin...

It wasn't big logs...

It was iBackup... seems that every time I have backed-up the HD, it has simply created a full copy of every file on my external drive and when that was full, on my HD...

having deleted 652,000 files, my 75Gb HD is now showing 14Gb used !!! not 75 used...

HOWEVER... why did iBackup do this?? And how do I stop it from continuing to happen...

Currently deleting no fewer than 13 copies of my HD from my (full!!!) 250Gb external drive

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.