Networking Mac and Windows

M

Murphy575

I know how to set it all up, but im having a hard time finding a router to fit my budget.

Do I need a router to connect a mac and a pc.

they need to share a internet connection also.

thanks for you help

OP
L

Logan

well here's your list of options
  1. Set up your XP or Mac to share it's internet connection with the other machine, and have the machines use each other to connect to the net. You'll need either two network cards (one for inbound, another for outbound) ideally, for this setup.
  2. Buy a router (you can get a refurbished one for quite cheap http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4220804?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG) and have all computers hook up to it to get internet access.

Personally I suggest 2, sharing the internet means you HAVE to keep the hosting computer on 24/7 in order for the client computer to have internet access. Buy a router, it's the least headache too.

OP
M

Murphy575

ok thanks, Im not all that wise on the computing in´s and outs, so I think i will just dig deep into my pocket, and get a router. Will check out that link thou, thanks!

BTW I have a bone to pick with you macaholics. I personally perf PC, however today I am using a Mac G5. It has crashed, FIVE TIMES in the space of 4 hours, and all im doing is surfing the net, and typing a story.

I have to keep saving my story, because I know it will crash again at some point...

ALSO the stupid thing keeps "forgetting" that I am typing in English, and not Swedish, so everything I type, it bloddy spell checks, and says its wrong, well it would be, ITS NOT SWEDISH! And further more, the stupid program keeps changing the format of my text, one line its times new roman, then its something else, not the same size or anything.

GRR DOWN WITH MAC

*end of iRant*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I would recommend a router. I network Linux, PC and Mac on one home network. Works just fine.

Re your iRant, I would suggest that it is not Mac you are mad at, but whatever program you are working with *on* the Mac.

If you really have a Mac G5 that is crashing regularly, you need to take it into the shop. You have a hardware issue or a corrupted copy of OS X. Even Apple doesn't make perfect hardware. Hardware breaks now and then... I am sure that everyone could tell you similar stories about PCs...

OP
L

Logan

I'm a linux fan myself, it fits my preferences and desires quite well, it definitely isn't the solution for everyone however. I find myself using OS X more and more due to the fact it's so easy I don't have to think (for this reason it's what i suggset to friends, especially the ones who don't WANT to learn computers). Windows is great due to compatibility but I personally hate it's structures and qualities that make it different. The thing it has going is it's compatibility and support with the market. The pricing however, overall quality of software and integrated hardware (repair, technical support, etc) is low profile. Let's say this much, if I were to be a full time technician, I'd want to do it on a windows-based environment and not mac or linux. Why? I would still have a job after a year of maintaince. :p

Sounds like you have had some bad experiences with OS X, but no matter what you're running you hit problems from time to time. Your story is kind of depressing that you have stability problems with your mac.. I turn mine on and leave it on for a half a month without a single problem. Same with linux. I prefer all my browsing on a mac over a PC now any time. Spyware and Adware is designed for Windows. All those pesky viruses you find as epidemics for norton are windows based. :)

You being unable to disable the sweedish support on a piece of software shouldn't make you hate macs, that would be like Microsoft Word being unable to autocorrect your spelling errors and you therefore hate windows.

On a side note, don't go to a mac forum and bluntly bash the product. There's a lot of things I dislike about windows, but I'll never say "DOWN WITH WINDOWS!". All you're gonna do with that talk is ruffle some feathers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.