Windows XP installation question

Reaction score
Installation seems to sit FOREVER at 12% while copying "dxapi.sys" is this normal? How do I stop the installation if it never advances?

edit: that file passed but then it froze up at 72% saying that it could not copy a different file, a massive headache then insued as i tried to get my macbook to start up in OS X again. I FREAKING HATE WINDOWS. I was so worried that i screwed up OS X.

I don't know what the problem is I am following the instructions to the letter (apple provided PDF)

I need windows for some autodesk applications, has anyone had any similar issues? Any help is appreciated, and i've found nothing that helps ME by using the search :(

Reaction score
Is your CD scratched or dirty? I've had that problem before. If it doesnt appear to be scratched or dirty try washing it. The other possibility could be a bad installation CD. Have you tried to install anything else from CD/DVD?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree, it sounds like there is a scratch or dirt or a smudge on your Windows XP Install media.

Also is this a Full Install of XP Home or Pro with SP2?

OP
V
Reaction score
This is full install windows XP Home Edition I bought it on monday, but called best buy and will be exchanging it tomorrow, I've tried to install 3 times and the same thing happens every time.

Theres 4 files that it can't copy over, the one noted above and a few more around the 72% mark. Upon closer inspection I noticed that there are a few small scratches and they actually appear to be on the Label/foil side of the disk not the plastic. I'll update tomorrow.

I hate Microsoft.

OP
V
Reaction score
Heres an update, after arguing with the customer service rep at BestBuy (the odds of microsoft pressing a bad CD are 1 in 10million your cd drive is bad.) I received a new cd brought it home and had windows running in an hour and a half.

on a side note, the first cd had some scratching as described in my above post, and the second cd right out of the box (yes i removed it very carefully) has about an inch long light scratch on it.

:) good QC there......

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.